• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Rabbit Built Up Area

happybunny

Mama Doe
When I was driving to the vets this morning I passed a bunny munching grass on the verge outside someone house. I pulled over and walked towards the bunny. I had to get quite close before it got nervous and backed away. At this point a man and a young boy came out of the house it was in front of.

I asked if it was their rabbit. The man said it was a wild rabbit and that it ate in everyones garden.

The problem is the road I was on is a very busy road and only a few meters further down is a dual carriageway. The area the rabbit was in was very built up but in the opposite direction from the dual carriage way is a new housing estate - possibly where the bunny came from.

What would you do? Would you try and catch the rabbit or would you leave it to destiny? It was wildie coloured and when I last saw it it was heading for a quieter back street.

When I was driving to the vets this morning I passed a bunny munching grass on the verge outside someone house. I pulled over and walked towards the bunny. I had to get quite close before it got nervous and backed away. At this point a man and a young boy came out of the house it was in front of.

I asked if it was their rabbit. The man said it was a wild rabbit and that it ate in everyones garden.

The problem is the road I was on is a very busy road and only a few meters further down is a dual carriageway. The area the rabbit was in was very built up but in the opposite direction from the dual carriage way is a new housing estate - possibly where the bunny came from.

What would you do? Would you try and catch the rabbit or would you leave it to destiny? It was wildie coloured and when I last saw it it was heading for a quieter back street.

i would leave it there are a few rabbits like this wildies that live near the d.carriageway near us the problem you have is even if you caught it where would you re release it into another rabbits territory most likely and that could have dire effects for it too. hard one but id leave it be you also dont know if its a mummy bun with a burrow nearby with kits she is feeding and then if you do take her away the babies would die. x

I agree to leave it.
When I used travel along a dual carriageway in the late evening, it was lit by rabbit eyes at the verge. I called them the Dorset verge mowers. I can't remember seeing a dead rabbit on the road.
I've also heard of a wildie warren in the middle of a dual carriageway in Cornwall, with speculation as to whether they'd learned to cross the road safely whereas predators hadn't.

Leave it, it might have a whole bunny family :) I seen a tiny baby rabbit almost 2 years ago on way home from work, he had a tiny white spot on his head, still see him now, he's (or she) grown loads, still has the white spot, and had babies last year :love: this was on a dual carriageway (the a23!)

Back