• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor rabbit welfare at the Great Yorkshire Show

Leximo

Young Bun
Just came back from the Great Yorkshire Show. I know I should have stopped myself going into the rabbit shed but couldn't help it. It must have been at least 30 degrees in the room - no ventilation whatsoever. Rabbits in 1ft x 1ft cages, music blaring, etc. A few lucky buns had a small fan to keep them cool but the same couldn't be said for the rest. They were all suffering in the heat and it pains me to say it but I am sure by the end of the day some will have succumb to heatstroke, particularly the angora breeds that didn't stand a chance. There wasn't one bun in that room that wasn't in distress because of the heat. How are they even allowed to keep the buns in that stifling room?

My heart was breaking at the rabbit breeds where their features had been exaggerated for the purposes of showing. The Nethies were tiny, completely compacted. Breeders are breeding them smaller and smaller. The same goes for the dwarf lops; apparently the more squished their face is, the better.

Is there someone I can contact to make a complaint about this? If they are going to show these rabbits then they can't be keeping them in 30 degree sheds just to appease visitors who want to see them. It seems a lot of breeders think they are somehow exempt from welfare standards. This was a rant more than anything but maybe something can be done to prevent this from happening in future years.

RSPCA?

"Breed standards" huh? Can you imagine applying the same principle to humans?!? :(

Just came back from the Great Yorkshire Show. I know I should have stopped myself going into the rabbit shed but couldn't help it. It must have been at least 30 degrees in the room - no ventilation whatsoever. Rabbits in 1ft x 1ft cages, music blaring, etc. A few lucky buns had a small fan to keep them cool but the same couldn't be said for the rest. They were all suffering in the heat and it pains me to say it but I am sure by the end of the day some will have succumb to heatstroke, particularly the angora breeds that didn't stand a chance. There wasn't one bun in that room that wasn't in distress because of the heat. How are they even allowed to keep the buns in that stifling room?

My heart was breaking at the rabbit breeds where their features had been exaggerated for the purposes of showing. The Nethies were tiny, completely compacted. Breeders are breeding them smaller and smaller. The same goes for the dwarf lops; apparently the more squished their face is, the better.

Is there someone I can contact to make a complaint about this? If they are going to show these rabbits then they can't be keeping them in 30 degree sheds just to appease visitors who want to see them. It seems a lot of breeders think they are somehow exempt from welfare standards. This was a rant more than anything but maybe something can be done to prevent this from happening in future years.

Yep, excellent way to insure Dental problems result........................

:roll:

Poor Bunnies, I absolutely HATE Rabbit Shows

RSPCA?

"Breed standards" huh? Can you imagine applying the same principle to humans?!? :(

Sadly the RSPCA didn't give a hoot about exagerations in dog breeding until Channel 4 made a TV programme about it. THEN they jumped on the bandwagon :roll:.

Sadly the RSPCA didn't give a hoot about exagerations in dog breeding until Channel 4 made a TV programme about it. THEN they jumped on the bandwagon :roll:.

Sorry, I meant for the conditions rather than the breeding. On any view, surely they wouldn't be happy if they actually saw that?

Yep, excellent way to insure Dental problems result........................

:roll:

Poor Bunnies, I absolutely HATE Rabbit Shows

Yep, Harry's face was ruler flat, and he had constant eye problems that later turned into dental deformities. He died young. :cry:

Breeders are breeding them smaller and smaller. The same goes for the dwarf lops; apparently the more squished their face is, the better.
Sounds like kennel club for rabbits if you ask me...

'your gsd isnt a real gsd because it's back isnt diagonal enough...'
'your gsd isnt a real gsd because it doesn't come with a hip problem and hip dysplasia'

'your dwarf lop isnt a real dwarf lop because it's face isnt squished enough'
'your dwarf lop isnt a real dwarf lop because it doesnt have a raging dental problem that prevents it from eating'

Hate rabbit shows. I would contact the RSPCA to find out the regulations around such things. Does a vet have to be present or anything like that? There must be rules and regulations who enforces them and what happens when someone reports concerns? The RSPCA must know the answer to such questions surely?

You could contact the local Council. They licence the shows and if welfare standards are not being met or animals are suffering they can either request improvements or refuse to licence future events.

I think the best places to contact would be the British Rabbit Council (they're in charge of all the shows) and the Great Yorkshire Show organisers. The BRC probably wont do anything but you may as well contact them anyway, the Great Yorkshire Show people are probably the most likely ot listen, I'm sure there'll be a contact somewhere on their website

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've already contacted the Great Yorkshire Show and I'll look into contacting the other organisations you mentioned. Unfortunately there were problems with animal welfare across the entire show but I think the rabbits had the worst of it, because, of course, 'it's just a rabbit' :roll:

Another thing that irked me was that the breeders/judges were sat at a table away from the rabbits having a nice chat and a cuppa. Never mind the hundred or so rabbits that are on the brink of heat stroke right behind you.

Back