• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-castration care questions

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

Just checking really if Ludo is behaving normally...

I brought him home from his castration at 3pm. He had a bit of hay then and he ate some fresh forage at the vet. He also had some fresh forage here this afternoon, carrot tops I think it was. Other than that he's been quite sleepy.

I checked his poos and some are large and normal and some are quite small. This evening I just hand fed him and he ate a large portion of fresh forage, say about 3-4 strawberry leaves, 2 dandelion leaves, some shepherd's purse, and fresh mint. He also is keen for pellets because I used one to get him to move away from a door rather than handling him when he's sore, but I haven't fed him his half eggcup as I want to maintain his routine and he's due a feed at 11pm.

Is it normal for him not to eat his hay properly post-op? And for some poos to be small for a bit? Most were large. I'm worrying a bit as he's a stasis-bun.

He's also not drunk very much, although the greens he's had have been dripping in water.

Hello!

I have not had to have a bun neutered but when Jasmine was spayed she had no interest in hay at all.At first she would only eat herbs and veggies.Eventually she would only eat mashed up pellets, fresh herbs and some veggies. Anything that required effort she just did not want to do. Luckily her spay was in winter so we gave her a heat pad which helped.

I think as long as he is eating something that is good, you could always tempt him with rolled oats if you have any or add water to the pellets, it forms a mash and they find it more tasty, I think the smell is more pungent. Jasmine also had no interest in water as too much effort so I soaked veggies and eventually syringed some water.

If you are in any doubt I am sure if you call the vet they can advise you if it is normal, I did this when Jasmine was spayed and they made me feel much better!

Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!

Funny enough I brought Boris home today at 5pm from his castration Op this morning. Like Ludo he's not eaten hay, just nibbled at it whilst inspecting his temporary indoor area (he's an outdoor rabbit). He has eaten greens though, so I'm not worried about his lack of hay eating at this point. He's also not drunk any water yet, but his veg was dripping in water too and he was given "fluid therapy" at the vets, so probably doesn't need any.

On the poop front, so far he's done one single, fairly large sized poo, but yet again he's only been in the house an hour so I'm not too worried about that, and just seeing the one has me relieved at this point.

The vets reassured me though that he's pooping and eating all day, since he woke up from the Op. It's the only reason they let him home to me today as they were originally telling me they would keep him in over night. I'm sure your vets wouldn't have allowed Ludo home if they had any concerns about him on the eating or poop front?

At the moment all Boris is doing is resting, which is exactly what I want him to be doing. Poor fella has had his bits removed afterall! :)

I haven't yet inspected his wound and to be honest I have no idea at this point what amount of swelling and bruising I should expect and what I should be worried about.

At this stage as long as Ludo is eating and pooping I wouldn't be too concerned if he is being more selective with his food. Spenser's poos were certainly smaller post-op. Hopefully hay-eating will resume soon.

Sending continued good recovery vibbes to Ludo.

Thanks all for the replies, sorry not to have replied again sooner.

Ludo has as of about an hour ago decided he likes water again after all, and has been eating hay today, but not in his usual vast quantities. His poos are still quite small, but as he's passing them regularly I'm not too worried.

He's certainly very lively! I hope Boris recovers well too.

Thanks for all the vibes.

Back