• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice ASAP needed: Little eating and pooping after neutering...

Kyou

Young Bun
My bun was neutered yesterday. The last time he ate was yesterday at about 3.30 pm before we went to vet.
I got him home at about 6.30 pm and in about 3-4 hours he looked perfectly fine.

Yesterday, at about 10 pm, he pooped for the first time. He had normal sized poops. At about 11pm, he made 1 bit of his favourite treat, and nothing more. I left a little piece of apple in his cage, fresh vegetables and lots of hay, but in the morning everything was still there. Today, he drank a little in the morning and he does show interest in food, he just doesn't really wanna eat. He ate a little of hay today, really, just a little, and the rest was a few teaspoons of his pellets mixed with chamomile tea that he licked at about noon and later. About an hour ago, he licked 4 nearly full teaspoons of mashed apple. I also gave him about 7ml of water by syringe.

How should I put it... he doesn't really lack appetite, he just doesn't want to eat it by himself, but if I gave him he eats most of it.
In the morning, the poops were normal size, two times later they were small, sticking together and were a bit more glaring, shiny or whatever... it didn't look like there would be any mucus around, just more wet. But maybe all the poops are always like that, and I just don't take a closer look when he makes them.

I don't really know what to think of. The second day of neutering, should he have NORMAL appetite or just a little of it is ok? Is it possible that the poops are small just because he eats a little, not enough? Maybe he could be a bit constipated from metacam or something?

I will hand feed him again later. Do you think I can wait until tomorrow and if he doesn't get better? If it could be stasis, would tomorrow be too late?

And another important information: besides little eating and pooping, he acts normal. He doesn't come out of the cage to get cuddled, but he enjoys it in his cage and lies around, chilling like always...

Last edited:
I'd personally definitely at least ring the vet, and would most likely take him in anyway as I don't like risking these things.

Good luck, hope bun is ok.

Back