• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How soon should I get my new rabbit vaccinated?

RebelMel

New Kit
Hi :wave:

This is my first post and I've searched and searched but I can't seem to find out how soon I should get my buck vaccinated after bringing him home. He will be over 8 weeks old.

I don't want to stress him too much by bringing him home and vaccinating the same day as I think that would be too much. Unless you all think otherwise? If not, how soon after he settles should I take him to get them done.

hello and welcome to the forum!:wave:

i would wait a few days then have it done as its the time of year when mosquitos are about which carry vhd and myxomatosis so its good to get it done as soon as possible. someone more experienced my say different though:wave:

I would say ASAP, they can be vaccinated from 5 weeks so it will be safe for him :wave:

Thank you both, I really appreciate your advice. So do you think it would be ok to get it done in our way home or maybe the next day? The lady I'm getting him from lives about 25 mins away.

We live in a semi rural area and there's lots of wildlife and we have a lot of insects about so I'm a bit worried about leaving it too long.

Thanks again!

in that case i would get him done on the way home, that way he can have a good health check and relax when he gets to yours

Keep in mind, it takes a couple of weeks for the immunity to develop it's not instant. If your in a rural area with a lot of wild bunnies and insects then things like a fly net over the hutch etc. to keep insects down is a good precaution. If you've got any other pets then flea treating them makes sure they can't bring anything back from a walk.

Hi :wave: I'm so sorry for hijacking your thread but I was just wondering if you have had ur bunny vaccinated yet as we plan to get ours done this Saturday or the following and I'm already starting to panic about it hurting or scaring him :cry: can anyone give me peace of mind by telling me it ain't so bad? I'm a wuss of a bunny mum :lol:

Hi :wave: I'm so sorry for hijacking your thread but I was just wondering if you have had ur bunny vaccinated yet as we plan to get ours done this Saturday or the following and I'm already starting to panic about it hurting or scaring him :cry: can anyone give me peace of mind by telling me it ain't so bad? I'm a wuss of a bunny mum :lol:

When I had my two boys done (as babies) they didnt even notice!!! One of them is an utter roaring wuss too. No need to worry about the injection. They didnt like being at the vets but the jab got no reaction at all. Good luck with your adorably cute little bunny :wave:

When I had my two boys done (as babies) they didnt even notice!!! One of them is an utter roaring wuss too. No need to worry about the injection. They didnt like being at the vets but the jab got no reaction at all. Good luck with your adorably cute little bunny :wave:

Aww hello to you :wave: thank you so much, couldn't have hoped for a better reply :D I need not worry then, the worst bit will be getting him to and from the vet - he doesn't like the motion of the car poor wee bun :lol:

Back