• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After neutering

Kyou

Young Bun
Hello,

today is the big day. I'm so afraid how it is going to be, if everything will be ok.

So here are a few questions:

- when I bring him home, should I put towels around his cage, so it's not slippery for him and it's clean as possible? Maybe leave one corner out in plastic? He prefers plastic, that's why I don't have hay on the floor.

- should I change wooden pellets in his litter box to paper towels or anything or just leave it?

- how did your bunnies look the first, second and so on days after surgery? Were they just lying all the time or started hopping soon after the procedure?

I'm just soooo scared because few years ago, our cat died from anesthesia. And, I know it's even more risky in rabbits than in dogs and cats...

please send vibes for my little boy :) he is getting neutered at about 4pm or a bit later (3pm UK time :) )

I would remove the normal litter and use towels instead, it's so that the litter doesn't get stuck in the wound whilst it heals.

It's probably a good idea to leave him so he can sit on the towels or the plastic, as long as you keep the plastic clean if he goes toilet there.

Mine were quite docile at first and did just sit around but after 24 hrs they were getting frisky and frustrated at being locked up.

The vet told me yesterday there is no need remove normal litter, because the wound is closed really well. All looks ok for now. :)

Back