• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a bird attack a rabbit?

Peanut-Toffee

Warren Veteran
I was out yesterday, and had lots of missed calls from my neighbour....when I managed to call her back, she said she'd been sat in her garden and heard an animal scream, she looked over the fence and saw Sooty & Sweep running around the garden...when she couldnt get hold of me, she climbed over the fence, managed to catch them (she said it took ages!) and get them back in the hutch....she said one of the hutch doors was wide open, all I can think was I must not of closed it properly :(
Anyway, Sooty has a small hole through the bottom of her ear and it was bleeding.
I cant imagine a cat would of just caused one small hole and thats it? We get a lot of magpies around here, and recently some seagulls....is it possible one of those has got to her?
I phoned the vets and they said just to clean it up and keep an eye on her, make sure shes eating and drinking etc....and luckily shes been fine :)

Very very scary though!!!!

yes they would. i found a rabbit once and put her in bisc and matts old hutch and run whilst i went to find her owner. came back and a magpie was trying to peck her through the mesh. :shock:

We've been getting a load of crows recently. One killed the baby pigeons which nested in our balcony. It was quite horrific. The crow was sat on the spare room window sill the other day eyeing up bernard. Was most glad the window was closed.

Cats insisors can be quite small and sharp though.

Glad bunnies are ok.

Yes! Magpies are evil - one swopped for Rupert one morning, even tho I was right next to him - it chased him round the side of the house! Luckily it didn't get him though!

I was washing up in the kitchen once and saw a bird of prey swoop down to presumably grab a bun. Fortunately it just bounced off the weld mesh of the enclosed run. Its one of the reasons I'm scared to free-range them as even if I'd been stood there I doubt I'd of got the bun before the bird, it was so quick!

Magpies are evil to bunnies :evil: Hope the ear mends quickly, how scary. Thank goodness your neighbour was there and able to help them.

I have both magpies and crows in the area and never ever had a problem with them. I think they would have a go if they the rabbit as small, but most of the time they are just curious about them. I wouldn't leave mine free ranging, though.

The small hole is probably more likely to be from a cat or something with sharp claws/teeth. A magpie or crow haven't got very sharp beaks and would probably leave a much larger wound on a bun, they also are more likely to go for the eyes.

Magpies can be so mean. I am constantly running out in my garden clapping my hands at them. They chase the buns when they free range and they try to peck at them when they are in their run. We also have a sparrow hawk that visits the garden but he only has his eyes on our bird feeder , not the bunnies. Not to say a sparrow hawk wouldn't go for a rabbit !!!

You are lucky your neighbour came to the rescue, that was really nice of her:)

We always have a magpie in the garden next door (the neighbours are constantly putting bread down!) my french lop currently free ranges until his enclosed run is finished as he can jump out of the one I've got at mo so we're having him a big aviary style one built. it's a constant fear that something will get him while I'm at work (he's shut in his playhouse at bedtime) although I have seen him charge at the neighbours cats when they get in the garden, he sees them off no trouble at all! the magpie doesn't seem interested in him - he's probably a little on the large side but I will still rest easier when he's totally secure.

Crows are always killing the wildie buns in my garden. :cry: Maybe you could start padlocking the hutch, or even move it int a shed? If the hutch is easily opened they could be taken by anything, even thieves.

Breton/Brenton bolts combined with a padlock are the best way to secure the hutches and only let them out whilst you are standing in the garden with them.

Yes, Seagulls and Magpies as well as Birds of Prey WILL attack Rabbits and GPs

This sadly :( I brought my ailing rabbit Mona outdoors on a pillow so she could enjoy the sunshine before she was pts. Even in my presence the crows began to gather on the fence and in the trees. I think they sensed she was dying and had I not been with her they would have swooped in. Another thing to note is most birds are attracted to shiny things and eyes reflect the light so they may not kill but can certainly inflict nasty damage :(

I use an enclosed run now after we had a cat attack, you can't be too careful.

Thanks all....I bought my neighbour a bottle of wine to say thank you, she wouldnt take it at first....dont think she realises how amazing it is!
Known her for years and shes the one that owns Bailey the border collie I used to walk if anyone remembers him?

Surely if it was a cat, there'd be more than just 1 small hole in her ear? Cant see any cuts or scratches anywhere else luckily!

ETA: The hutch is only supposed to be temporary, Im trying to decide whether to bond these with my 4 dutches (who live in a shed), or just get them their own shed.

I often worry about this too.. I live near the sea so we get lots of seagulls here plus a few crows / rooks but no birds of prey. I let my buns out free range when I'm home and have never had a problem with the birds. However, I wouldn;t leave the buns out unsupervised.

I looked out of the window only a week or so ago to see a magpie trying to peck the buns through the run, I was quite shocked. I knew magpies could be nasty but I didn't think they would try and take on a rabbit!

Back