• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To turf or not to turf?

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
When i bought the turf for the new run, I got a couple of extra rolls to re-turf Summer and Skye's run, but it would mean shutting the run off to them for at least a week while the turf roots... So should I or not? It's unlikely I'd be able to pick them up to put them in a temp run, they hate to be picked up :( Another idea (which I got from someone on here but sorry I don't know where I read it!) is to put pieces of the turf in trays and just give them grass trays? What would you do? I have enough to do grass trays aswell as re-turf the run but just don't know if I should now! Another question, about the trays, I thought I might sprinkle some seeds on (herbs or something, I've got loads of diff seeds!) so does anyone have any clues what would grow as quick as the grass?? Last time I tried mixing grass seeds with other stuff only the grass grew!

IF you have enough space to grow it in trays I'd be tempted to do that. We turfed the Runaround tunnels, and now just have mud...

IF you have enough space to grow it in trays I'd be tempted to do that. We turfed the Runaround tunnels, and now just have mud...

I know well it was grass to start with but it's long gone now!! It is actually just starting to re-grow slightly!! I can grow the trays on top of the new run as its in a good position, so that's no prob. It just seems a shame but you're right it won't be long before its all gone again! At least the trays can be alternated and have chance to re-grow!!

I turfed a huge area for mine - complete waste of time (and money) - they just dug it up! I think even if you leave it to 'take' you could still have problems.

I turfed a huge area for mine - complete waste of time (and money) - they just dug it up! I think even if you leave it to 'take' you could still have problems.

Little bugg@rs aren't they :lol: I'm fully expecting Heidi and Dash's to be gone pretty soon after they move in but I didn't want to dig out to sink the mesh, so I've just turfed over the top. Hopefully it'll be enough to keep the mesh down even if they try and dig.

My two single bucks and my pair of does all have grass in their runs. They dont seem to eat it much (!) but wait for my delivery of hand picked grass from the rest of the garden! I think trays sound like the way to go. Will be doing them for the winter.

Back