• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sorry I'm a nuisance but neutering question

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Ludo is being neutered on Tuesday hopefully if the vet can squish us in, they appreciate that I want him done asap rather than worrying about it forever!

He's going for a pre-op chat tomorrow at 10am with the vet.

I'm now having doubts.

What happens if my lovely Ludo bunny changes personality and turns into a horror after neutering?
If he turns aggressive or anything then my Mum and sister who help look after him wouldn't help any more and I wouldn't manage on very disabled days or when I'm out then what would happen?

I can't just say oh I'll pop him outside in the cabin with another bunny because getting another rabbit isn't an option either, for lots of reasons, some to do with Ludo's health (2 rabbits would have to go outside, and Ludo's stasis has been prevented 3 times now from being seen quickly where he's been indoors).

And on a selfish level, me and Ludo are BFFs. We spend 16 hours a day together nearly every day. We watch Cowboy Builders and Family Fortunes together. We snuggle on the floor together. We lie nose to nose together. He likes being stroked and having his cheeks tickled. He licks my face. He hates having his paws touched. He thumps when breakfast is late. He's so lovely, he's just perfect, even my Dad who doesn't like animals in houses doesn't mind a freerange Ludo hopping around. That's my Ludo.

I just want Ludo not to jump up and pee on me in the evenings, like he's started in the last few days. When he tries sometimes he falls and nearly hurts himself. Or to run round me in circles grunting, ditto in the last few days.

Help RU what shall I do. I don't need to know about the pros and cons of neutering, I know those, and Ludo has special circumstances with his health... I just need to know about his behaviour. Will I lose my lovely boy or will he still be friendly?

Honestly, Buckley became a nicer rabbit once he was neutered. He was already the loveliest, kindest rabbit but then he stopped trying to hump me and just snuggled all day instead :)

Ludo is being neutered on Tuesday hopefully if the vet can squish us in, they appreciate that I want him done asap rather than worrying about it forever!

I'm now having doubts.

What happens if my lovely Ludo bunny changes personality and turns into a horror after neutering?
If he turns aggressive or anything then my Mum and sister who help look after him wouldn't help any more and I wouldn't manage on very disabled days or when I'm out then what would happen?

I can't just say oh I'll pop him outside in the cabin with another bunny because getting another rabbit isn't an option either, for lots of reasons, some to do with Ludo's health (2 rabbits would have to go outside, and Ludo's stasis has been prevented 3 times now from being seen quickly where he's been indoors).

And on a selfish level, me and Ludo are BFFs. We spend 16 hours a day together nearly every day. We watch Cowboy Builders and Family Fortunes together. We snuggle on the floor together. We lie nose to nose together. He likes being stroked and having his cheeks tickled. He licks my face. He hates having his paws touched. He thumps when breakfast is late. He's so lovely, he's just perfect, even my Dad who doesn't like animals in houses doesn't mind a freerange Ludo hopping around. That's my Ludo.

I just want Ludo not to jump up and pee on me in the evenings, like he's started in the last few days. When he tries sometimes he falls and nearly hurts himself. Or to run round me in circles grunting, ditto in the last few days.

Help RU what shall I do. I don't need to know about the pros and cons of neutering, I know those, and Ludo has special circumstances with his health... I just need to know about his behaviour. Will I lose my lovely boy or will he still be friendly?

Awh Ludo sounds like a lovely boy! There is nothing to worry about at all! He should become more calmer being neutered. He shouldn't change much in personality. He may be 'off; for the first few days after the op. when its all finished you may be able to get him a mate :) that would be nice for him.

Awh Ludo sounds like a lovely boy! There is nothing to worry about at all! He should become more calmer being neutered. He shouldn't change much in personality. He may be 'off; for the first few days after the op. when its all finished you may be able to get him a mate :) that would be nice for him.

This!

Although my Archie wasn't "off", he was straight out of the carrier, escaped and went for a run and a binky round the living room :roll:

Thanks everyone, sounds like he'll still be a snuggle bun then, he'll just not want to circle?

He will be calmer, all of his circling, spraying ect is from hormones and frustration, his hormones are telling him he needs to make little Ludos but he can't... I think it can actually be quite stressful for them to have all that pent up hormonal energy and nothing to do with it.

Neutering him will calm him down, remove his frustrations and make him a happier bun. Most boy buns really don't change personalities they just mellow a bit!

I've had 3 buns neutered with me and they've all become so much nicer rabbits after neutering. If you were UNneutering him, then I'd be worried!! :lol:

None of my buns changed personality wise after neutering, they just became more mellow and I don't end up being sprayed in the face every day :lol:

Ludo sounds like a real babe and i'm confident he will stay so sweet and lovey dovey, you just won't get a pee-covered lap or that horrible cheesy smell when they hump :roll:

None of my buns changed personality wise after neutering, they just became more mellow and I don't end up being sprayed in the face every day :lol:

Ludo sounds like a real babe and i'm confident he will stay so sweet and lovey dovey, you just won't get a pee-covered lap or that horrible cheesy smell when they hump :roll:

LOL luckily he hasn't humped or sprayed! He has done the 'mummy I love you so much I'm going to do a nice big wee down your lap' :lol:

He will be calmer, all of his circling, spraying ect is from hormones and frustration, his hormones are telling him he needs to make little Ludos but he can't... I think it can actually be quite stressful for them to have all that pent up hormonal energy and nothing to do with it.

Neutering him will calm him down, remove his frustrations and make him a happier bun. Most boy buns really don't change personalities they just mellow a bit!

Little Ludos!!! *imagines*. Going to dig out his baby photos now (well, not exactly, the ones from when he was 12 weeks!) I think one Ludo is enough for the world!

Hopefully he'll mellow at the vets!

Oh please don't worry, but after over 20yrs of keeping bunnies myself, and having them neutered, I have found all my boys have actually become even soppier and more loving than ever. Your bunny sounds absolutely adorable and the kind of bun that many can only dream of, but he will still love you just as much, or even more so. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

I'm now having doubts.

You talk about him exactly the way my cousin talks about her Dexter :love:
She too was a bit worried about Dex changing after a neuter and was worried about the GA and wasn't going to get him done.

She eventually managed to work up the courage to get him done after I explained that he really would be happier, this wee man was controlled by his hormones, he was so sweet but sprayed everywhere and had a wolfy toy that was humped literally to death.

When Dex got neutered he was actually found to have a cyst in one of his testicles from when he was madly rampantly humping anything and everything.
If he hadn't been done when he was we don't know if it would have turned nasty.

He was neutered in march :) and he's still the sweetest bunny ever :) He just doesn't flick wee and spray and hump everything now. :love:

xxx

Thanks for your reassurances everyone!
Going to bed now it's a big day tomorrow, Ludo will be chatting to the vet at 10am! Send us vibes!

Biscuit didn't change at all and was still the friendliest, licky bunny post-neuter. He just stopped circling my feet and honking at me!

Vibes for Ludo, I'm sure he'll be just as lovely or even lovelier (lovely + not peeing on your lap = lovelier) afterwards :thumb:

We didn't go the vet, we changed the appointment to tomorrow at 8.40 instead so that he doesn't have to have two hot car journeys. He's definitely being done tomorrow though. Argh! Got his forage pack in the fridge ready and his lunch box on the table. The freezer packs for the lunch box are freezing in the freezer. Scary!

Back