• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to keep your rabbits cool?

aimzy

Young Bun
hello everyone! Hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather! and the buns too!
Just wanted to see if anyone could tell me how to keep my bunnies cool in the hot weather.
they are in there pens, they have plenty of shelter and water but they still seem quite hot.
what can i do?

Try filling up bottles of water, freezing them and putting them in the pens, the bunnies can lie down next to them. :thumb:

Got any empty plastic bottles? The bigger the better. Fill then up about 3/4 of the way full and freeze them over night. Then pop them in the pens.

Use damp towels to shade hutches and runs. Bunnies can also lie on them. You can use a fan in a run or shed to circulate cool air. Moisture laden foods such as cucumber could be given in small doses. Frozen bottles of water or ice packs for bunny to lie on beside are good too. Make sure there is plenty of fresh drinking water from a bowl. The more you can do the better off they will be :wave:

The other thing about freezing the plastic bottles is they leave a handy wet puddle when they melt. If I put it in the middle of the shed, N&T always run through it which cools their little feet down a bit, and when they clean their face/ears they're also spreading the water. I find that probably has more of an effect than the actual frozen bottle itself as I've never seen them lie by one :lol:

The other thing about freezing the plastic bottles is they leave a handy wet puddle when they melt. If I put it in the middle of the shed, N&T always run through it which cools their little feet down a bit, and when they clean their face/ears they're also spreading the water. I find that probably has more of an effect than the actual frozen bottle itself as I've never seen them lie by one :lol:

okay hehe! thank you for all your answers! think my buns got a bit hot today!

Back