• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet carrier question

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

Ludo is going to the vet tomorrow.

It's only a 3 minute drive away but he gets distressed.

My car doesn't have air con. I'll open all the windows and doors before I go to cool it down as much as possible but it will probably still be quite warm.

I have a normal plastic pet carrier that Ludo goes in.

Would it be best to take Ludo as normal in it or should I put a cool bottle of ice wrapped in a towel in there with him too?

Only thing is he's never shown any interest in a cool bottle before and I worry that if I put one in he can't get away from it if he finds it too cold or doesn't like it.

What would your advice be?

I'm going to the vet alone so I can't monitor him whilst driving.

Have you got a snugglesafe (either ice pod or the microwave one?) both of those can be frozen and wrapped in a towel but they lay flat on the floor so it won't bother him as much imo. If you put it in 2 layers of towel I think it should be cool enough to be barely noticeable to him but still cool enough to give off a bit of cool for him. When I wrap it in just one layer it's still very cold so I worry that N&T can't get away from it, but 2 layers seems to be about right to ensure they're kept just that little bit cooler.

If it is only 3 mins away I wouldn't bother with the cool bottle - might distress him further.
Take a drink for him - although doubt that he'll be in the mood to even drink.
Sounds as though you will be there and back within 30 mins, so don't think you need to worry.

Have you got a snugglesafe (either ice pod or the microwave one?) both of those can be frozen and wrapped in a towel but they lay flat on the floor so it won't bother him as much imo. If you put it in 2 layers of towel I think it should be cool enough to be barely noticeable to him but still cool enough to give off a bit of cool for him. When I wrap it in just one layer it's still very cold so I worry that N&T can't get away from it, but 2 layers seems to be about right to ensure they're kept just that little bit cooler.

Much better than my advice!

No, but I have a cool flat pad that comes out of the freezer for my bad joints... would that do if I double wrapped it in his blanket?

Babsie- his ccarrier has a thing for a drink thanks I'll make sure I put one on I don't normally it's not worth it but perhaps I will this time!

No, but I have a cool flat pad that comes out of the freezer for my bad joints... would that do if I double wrapped it in his blanket?

Babsie- his ccarrier has a thing for a drink thanks I'll make sure I put one on I don't normally it's not worth it but perhaps I will this time!

You may be better to take a bowl and a bottle of water with you, to see if you can tempt him at the vets before you start home again. Trouble with those water things on carriers is that you can spill the water.

I'll take his normal bottle and tie it on to the grid at the front, it can't spill. I know the kind of thing on the carrier you mean, this isn't like that, this carrier is too cheap for one of those! :oops::lol: (It's my sister's cat carrier, though it's about 3 years since her cat saw it!)

Put the freezing bottle on the top or next to the carrier. It will still cool the inside but he won't be resting on it and it's not going to make it too cold in a 3 minute trip :)

Back