• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping them cool

Wet their ears :wave: either dip your hands in water and then wipe it over their ears/head, or get a few pieces of kitchen roll, fold it up, soak it in water and drape it over their ears :wave: this helps lots.

I've been leaving a fan on for mine.
The wire is covered so it's safe. They have been laying in front of it all day today.
I'm hoping to get some ice pods though (because leaving a fan on 24/7 gets expensive!)

I've been leaving a fan on for mine.
The wire is covered so it's safe. They have been laying in front of it all day today.
I'm hoping to get some ice pods though (because leaving a fan on 24/7 gets expensive!)

My outdoor buns have a fan too :wave: I put it on about 8am and it stays on til about 9pm, it makes a massive difference in their kennel :D

I repositioned the hay bin to create a bit of shadow across the aviary. then ive put a bath sheet over the roof of the aviary.

The shed door is a far open as it can be then Ive a bamboo blind hung over the doorway.

Thermometer in the shed peaked at 29.2 deg today.:shock: Ive got an icepod but the walk past it:evil:

We've covered the window on the shed with a thick pillow case to keep the sun out. Each teatime once the air temp has dropped we shut the catflap to keep them in the run and leave the shed door wide open for a bit.

I repositioned the hay bin to create a bit of shadow across the aviary. then ive put a bath sheet over the roof of the aviary.

The shed door is a far open as it can be then Ive a bamboo blind hung over the doorway.

Thermometer in the shed peaked at 29.2 deg today.:shock: Ive got an icepod but the walk past it:evil:

Yeah mine don't seem to choose to sit by the ice pads either!! :?

the wetting ears thing - my vet said not to do it, as wet fur attracts flies :-/ not that i can get that close to tia anyway. im really worried, it was 27degrees in the shed at 9am yday when i opened up - and we're away next weekend and our landlady will be feeding them for us, but I dunno what time she will be getting there (to give them their water bottle/open door / give breakfast) im a worried jibbering mess already!

Do you have to cool it in the fridge or anything? I'm sure there's a box of bathroom tiles in bottom shed :thumb:

I have in the past, but often find that makes it too cold. Just leave it in a shaded area and it'll stay one hell of a lot cooler than anything else they can lay upon :)

Wet their ears :wave: either dip your hands in water and then wipe it over their ears/head, or get a few pieces of kitchen roll, fold it up, soak it in water and drape it over their ears :wave: this helps lots.

Did this to Ted, he seemed pretty chilled (LOL!).

Did this to Little. She was apoplectic, I've never seen anything so indignant :lol:

I splashed out on a air conditioner a week or so ago - and I know it will cost alot in power bills, but am managing to keep the buns cool.

Never thought I would dislike hot weather so much:(

Back