• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matt just choked u/d - he's ok :)

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
we were outside and bisc and matt were eating grass, then he just started pulling at his mouth and nose. then ran inside making awful noises. :(

we don't know if he choked on the grass, or whether it was a mucus build up getting stuck in his nose again. this has happened twice in the past when he couldn't sneeze it out and he made some awful choking noises and went into shock.

this weather is terrible for him. it's making his snuffles so bad. :(

it didn't last long but felt like a lifetime. :( we tried to calm him down and luckily he was ok after. he has had a rest and some food and water and an extra nebulising session to make him feel less bunged up.

typical that it's sunday. o/h has rang the emergency vets and they are getting someone to phone soon hopefully. i don't know what they can do though, as they're pretty useless.

so so scary. :cry:

Last edited:
good news - matts fine. acting normally. he's just very snuffly because of the weather, already on his stronger meds anyway, so i don't know if a big piece of mucus unblocked in his nose again so he panicked, or whether he did choke on the grass, but he seems ok now anyway. just making his worst snuffle noises, but in himself he seems fine.

he always rests in 'his' corner when he's ill or upset so he did that and i lay with him and gave him kisses and noserubs and kept his ears cool for him.

i don't know what i would have done if he hadn't stopped choking though. :cry: so scary. :cry:

x

Back