• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding costs

oldmcdonaldsfarm

Warren Scout
I was looking for bunny boarding in September and nearly dropped dead with the cost.

Call me a skinflint but when i'm trying to have a cheap holiday and the bunny boarding is costing TWICE the price, then i think something is really wrong.

So i'm probably going to cancel the holiday because I cannot afford to board them.

Im not a happy bunny at the moment :(

Have you got any friends or family that would visit them a couple of times a day for you in exchange for a bottle of wine, perhaps? :D

How much have been quoted? Ours charges £7 per day for two buns sharing which I didn't think was too bad. Also taking into account the lady that runs it is an ex rscpa inspector and she also fosters bun for our local rspca.

Yes, I'm sure if there's someone on here close to you they'll help out, then you can return the favour :D

How much have been quoted? Ours charges £7 per day for two buns sharing which I didn't think was too bad. Also taking into account the lady that runs it is an ex rscpa inspector and she also fosters bun for our local rspca.

My holiday is costing my 95p per night......

just curious to what you have been quoted , a few of us on here run bunny boarding and im always wondering what people consider reasonable amd expensive , what were they asking for a single bun/ pair

I don't think you'll find anywhere half decent for less than £7 ish...which is reasonable I think, when you consider the cost of decent hutches, time to look after the buns, food, bedding etc

I think I pay £17/night :lol:

It's for an outside cottage (shed) with a permenant run attached to it, I'd rather pay for that instead of putting them in a 6ft hutch for £6-7 a night.

£14 per night.
NOT including food.

But people are earning a living from boarding. They have to make some profit on top of the costs of setting up the boarding areas, insurance, bedding, bottles/bowls, cleaning equipment, admin costs, phone costs etc. A good boarder will also spend time taking your bun to the vet if they are ill, checking them every day for any health issues, etc. It's not as simple as people think, taking responsibility for someone else's beloved pet.

Turn £14 per night into an hourly rate - approx 58 pence per hour. Seems pretty reasonable to me!

To be fair, your holiday is exceptionally cheap at 95p per night. I recently paid £225 to board 4 rabbits (2 pairs) and 3 guinea pigs for 8 nights. They all had mahoosive indoor enclosures as well as a very caring and knowledgeable person looking after them. She sent me no end of texts and photos throughout their stay too. Yes, it cost me more than my holiday but I factored that into the overall cost. I'm afraid it comes as part of pet ownership. You could board them somewhere that only charges £3 a night but would you really want to subject them to that? Like you, if I couldn't afford the boarding then I'd have a week off at home and just relax and enjoy spending time with my small furries :thumb:.

But people are earning a living from boarding. They have to make some profit on top of the costs of setting up the boarding areas, insurance, bedding, bottles/bowls, cleaning equipment, admin costs, phone costs etc. A good boarder will also spend time taking your bun to the vet if they are ill, checking them every day for any health issues, etc. It's not as simple as people think, taking responsibility for someone else's beloved pet.

Turn £14 per night into an hourly rate - approx 58 pence per hour. Seems pretty reasonable to me!

accepted. but when its the difference between a holiday and no holiday its a big thing.

again, its a cheap holiday @ 95p per night for me. but £140 for 10 nights for bunny boarding isn't something i can afford.

accepted. but when its the difference between a holiday and no holiday its a big thing.

again, its a cheap holiday @ 95p per night for me. but £140 for 10 nights for bunny boarding isn't something i can afford.

I can't afford a holiday either, even 95 pence a night. But I knew when I took on my bunnies that if I ever could afford a holiday I would have to sort good boarding out for them on top of my own costs. It's part an parcel of being a responsible pet owner :)

We charge £5 per night for a single bunny and £6 per night for a bonded pair and for that you get the dry food and greens ample hay, a hutch and play pen and toys, we don't charge for the day they go home and we don't charge extra or double for bank holidays or Christmas.

We work 7 days a week, 12 months of the year and at the moment we are finishing our day at 3:00 am in a morning as we have 31 rescue buns of our own to look after as well as the holiday buns. It's hard work at times. We charge £30 a week for a single bunny boarding.

Hopefully cornwall if i can find somewhere for the lads

You live in Coventry and are off on holiday to Cornwall.......................I'm sort of on your way.

Would I be able to help care for your bunnies? I only do boarding on a very small scale, but great attention is given to boarders. I've also got 11 years experience of caring for other people's bunnies.

Pm me if I can be of any help.:thumb:

Back