• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Foxxy nail clip accident... advice needed please

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi all. Right well it is time for the rabbits to have their claws clipped and started clipping Foxxy's claws. Two paws went fine. Third paw, her back left one.. I go to clip the first claw and she kicks before I have clipped it but with the ring of the claw clipper still there and I don't know how to describe it. It looks like the outer claw has come off. There is not loads of blood and I know I didn't push on the clipper as she kicked. But it just looks like the outer claw was ripped off, most likely due to her kicking so quickly and she must have caught the claw on the clipper. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this happen before and what did you do?

I don't know what to do. Is there anything I can put on it? And will the outer claw regrow?

If you have any cornflour dab some on her toe to stop the bleeding. Other than that, if you can get a picture of her foot it would be helpful for us to see. I've not experienced a toe or claw injury with one of my buns (I'm a chicken and take them to the vets for their mani-pedis!) but someone on here might be more knowledgable and be able to tell you what to do if they can see a picture of her toe :)

x

Well we put some salt water on it. It actually hasn't bled much. It was only a miniscule amount of blood. I suppose it was because I didn't cut the claw with the clipper. The vet has done this a few times to our rabbits. Scruffy has had this happen on two occasions where the vet has cut the quick and there was more blood so I know what to expect if it is the quick that is cut.

Well we put some salt water on it. It actually hasn't bled much. It was only a miniscule amount of blood. I suppose it was because I didn't cut the claw with the clipper. The vet has done this a few times to our rabbits. Scruffy has had this happen on two occasions where the vet has cut the quick and there was more blood so I know what to expect if it is the quick that is cut.

I'm sure she'll be ok, just keep an eye on her :)

I'm sure she'll be ok, just keep an eye on her :)

She has been fine. It isn't bleeding. Just worried it'll get infected. But apparently salt water helps? My mum put it on the claw and said it should help.
Is a bit annoying she was fine letting me clip the claws until something spooked her. I think it was some shouting kids walking by in the field behind our back garden.

Back