• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone used a treat dispenser ball for pellets?

Rach210

Alpha Buck
I was thinking of getting one of those balls that the animal has to push around to get the treats out to give Misty her pellets in, to make it a challenge for her. Has anyone else done this? What did your bunnies think? Do you think it's a good idea?

I was thinking of getting one of those balls that the animal has to push around to get the treats out to give Misty her pellets in, to make it a challenge for her. Has anyone else done this? What did your bunnies think? Do you think it's a good idea?

My two loved it ! I bought one of the standard sized round ones and they liked it a lot , but when I moved them onto science selective pellets they were harder to get out . I bought a bigger treat ball and that worked fine . I hindsight I could have just snapped the pellets in half :roll:

Stephen used to love it when he was alone but when he bonded with Ellie she would chase him away from them and not let him eat any. :? Big ol'bully that she is!

my 2 have quite a big one, watching Peggy manuvere it is awesome.... she could play footie for England that bun! :D

I've tried it with small animal, cat and dog ones. The spotty dog ones seem to go down best with my lot :thumb:

I have a massive dog one; football sized with just one hole that can't be changed, it was perfect for science select and they used to push it around like mad for it, Peta got so excited that sometimes she'd forget to stop to eat the pellets and Peter would be behind her picking it all up, but because of the shape it wasn't out straight away. When I changed them to excel it was useless so bought a smaller one, they liked it but it wasn't as funny or challenging pushing a big ball.

i have the ordinary small ones. i use them if i have to be away at normal feeding times - one ball per bunny, but only a normal portion of food in each.

last week when i had to be out late, i used one of those wire globes with a bell, stuffed it with hay and hid pellets in it, along with a couple of treats.

The rabbits of RU have spoken, I'm definitely getting one :)

All suggestions for keeping Misty entertained until she gets a husbun are welcome!

They are awesome, but I had to stop using them as my guys always managed to get them in their water bowls :roll: once they get water in them the pellets swell up and congeal into a large blob of mush that you can't get out! :shock: :roll:

Stoopid Loki and his habit of putting things into bowls! :lol: I woke up one morning to find he had stacked two plastic kiddy bowls they have for toys inside each other, put a ball and another toy in the top and the whole lot was floating in his water bowl! :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

2 of my bunnies love them, Fred is an expert at it although sometimes he loses the ball under his own tummy! Harribun does the water bowl trick too and it does go very mushy and take some cleaning! Freda didn't understand what to do with it at all, she just kept biting it and getting really cross so she doesn't have one any more :lol:

We use them at the rescue to occupy buns whilst they are out and we are cleaning their pens. A lot of them really enjoy them, some are too lazy though!

I had one with raised carrot pattern on. Strawbs ate the plastic carrots to make holes in the ball so the pellets came out quicker!

My buns love them and it's funny watching their different tactics. Jaffa just shoves it around with his nose but Ren picks it up in her teeth and throws it or pats it around with her paws like a cat!

They continue to play with it even when all the pellets are gone - just in case and more magically fall out.

Mine have one each and they love them so long as I don't give them too often, if I try to give them every day Tia just says meh and doens't bother with ot :lol:

Ted loves it, he's even worked out that by pushing it round and round his water bowl he can get the maximum number of treats out with minimum effort.

Little is too stupid to work it and picks it up and lobs it in her water bowl every time so the treats go all soggy :roll:

Mine love them, I was very impressed at how quickly they could get the fairly large science selective pellets out of the small ball. Then I watched, there is no rolling of the ball in my house, Pixie picks the ball up, runs around with it until the pellets fall out then eats them. Luckily for Peter he therefore has minimal work to do (unless you count eating) :lol:

Back