• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stitches- that fall out?

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Hi,

Does anyone know about stitches that fall out rather than having to be taken out?

Thanks

They dissolve, not fall out :)

This:)

I've had them used a few times on my furries - often after a female spay. I like them as I don't have to take the pet back to have the stitches removed. With my Bridge Bun Furby, one of his stitches didn't dissolve though and the vet had to take that one out anyway.

The vet nurse (not the vet, mind) mentioned that I could discuss other options for Ludo on Monday when I go to have a pre-op discussion with the vet. She said that as he's so frightened and a danger to himself one option might be different stitch options such as ones that didn't need removing.. but if they dissolve then I suppose that's not useful, or is it?

Oh just seen Rhianna's post...

What do you do to get them out? Gently sponge their bums?

ETA: Just read the link, thanks :) Looks good, he can have those!

The vet nurse (not the vet, mind) mentioned that I could discuss other options for Ludo on Monday when I go to have a pre-op discussion with the vet. She said that as he's so frightened and a danger to himself one option might be different stitch options such as ones that didn't need removing.. but if they dissolve then I suppose that's not useful, or is it?

Oh just seen Rhianna's post...

What do you do to get them out? Gently sponge their bums?

ETA: Just read the link, thanks :) Looks good, he can have those!

If the Vet does a closed castration then sutures are not needed at all, just glue

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...s/Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/CastrationRabbit.htm

If the Vet does a closed castration then sutures are not needed at all, just glue

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...s/Indiv_TechniquesRabbit/CastrationRabbit.htm

What is the standard and which is the least risky? I'd like him to be under the GA the least amount of time. Thanks so much for these links I'll write the info down and take it when I see the lady on Monday, she's not my usual vet (he's on holiday) but she's the other savvy vet at the practice (sadly she's the one who put Harry to sleep, so I'd been avoiding her a bit since then, isn't that silly:oops:) so I'm sure she won't mind me asking all these questions. She's very patient and gentle, he'll be in good hands with her.

I'm sure as long as there are no external stitches it'll be ok. If the external part of the wound is glued he won't have anything to pull at :)

Last edited:
I'm sure as long as there are no external stitches it'll be ok. If the external part of the wound is glued he won't have anything to pull at :)

Thanks, I'm such a worrier :lol::roll:

You can just imagine me on the day I'll be going in with box after box of packed lunches for him, and he'll probably only be there for a few hours!:lol:

Still, I can't have him peeing on Mummy. :(

Thanks, I'm such a worrier :lol::roll:

You can just imagine me on the day I'll be going in with box after box of packed lunches for him, and he'll probably only be there for a few hours!:lol:

Still, I can't have him peeing on Mummy. :(

Oh don't worry, Buckley went with a cuddly toy, his own bowls, a blanket, a box of pellets, a cool bag with herbs, vegetables, and fruits, and a bottle of his favourite cold-brewed camomile tea! I also took cakes and biscuits for the vets and VNs. The vet nurse gave me a strange look haha.

Back