• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering questions

vergo97

Warren Scout
I'm thinking about getting Freddy neutered and a friend and have read that outdoor rabbits have to be inside for a day or so after the op. Can that be in a small room (like the bathroom) or does he have to be in an indoor cage?
He's 7 years old but do you think he would be ok?
And is there a way to make sure the vet knows what they are doing?

Yep, it can be a small room :) There's a list of questions here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?84269-Vet-Questions-Neutering that you can ask a vet to check that they know what they're doing.

If you use a vet recommended on here who's rabbit savvy they'll know what is and isn't appropriate for a bunny of Freddy's age.
Our vet gives the option of pre-op blood tests to make sure bunny's organs etc. can cope with the stress of the op. These are recommended for "older" (5+) bunnies and bunnies who have had a lot of health problems. They're done on the same day as the op so it's not an extra trip and it gives the vet an idea of the bunny's health on the day :)

I had a 4 year old sneezy girl spayed and a 5 year old boy castrated and they were fine :)

If they tell you not to give him any food before the op, find another vet, rabbits can't vomit so can eat right up to operations.

With boys it's easier and less invasive. Donny was back outside the next day! I just kept his hay raised for a few days but he was fine :)

Thanks, looks like it should be ok. I've send my dad a link to the questions so when he books Freddy in he can ask to make sure they know what they're doing. They recommend vaccinations and used to have a big display on rabbit housing/diet so I think they are quite good.

:wave: It's nice to hear that you are thinking of getting Freddy a friend :)
I think he would be fine to go back into his usual environment, given that the weather is so warm. It's really only recommended that they come inside when it's cold outside. You will probably find he is less stressed in a familiar environment. Just check that he is eating and drinking ok and moving about alright.
:)

That's good :)
Would I have to wait 6 weeks before getting him a friend?

If she was already neutered you might be able to get him a friend sooner. But if you're getting him a friend from a rescue it may well take 6 weeks for things like picking a friend, getting homechecked etc. to happen. Apart from the hormonal side of things it's important that his wound is completely healed before introducing a second rabbit :)

Yep she'll be from a rescue :) Do you think once he's been neutered it would be a good time to start asking rescues about rabbits?
My dad's going to phone up the vet on Monday to ask about neutering :thumb:

Yep she'll be from a rescue :) Do you think once he's been neutered it would be a good time to start asking rescues about rabbits?
My dad's going to phone up the vet on Monday to ask about neutering :thumb:

That would be the perfect time to start contacting rescues :)

He's booked in for the 30th!
I think the vets are good, they said to keep feeding him as normal and to bring in his food/bowls as they can get funny if it's not what they're used to, and they need to keep their gut working. They said that there is a higher risk with his age and my dad says to be prepared for him not to make it but I think he should be ok.

What a perfect Thread - I have Boris (6 year old) booked in for his Op on Wednesday and came on here looking for advise. :D

Back