• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Black wild rabbits?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
Can you get them?

A friend has just posted a pic (not that close up sadly) of a black 'wild' rabbit. Then someone else has commented that they have seen several in one area.

Yes. You can. There are quite a few around here.

(Either that or Hector does actually go out when I'm not looking and has a great time with the local girl bunnies.....)

*that is a joke!

Yes you can, but its more common to find black domestic ones having been released. Well, more common where I live anyway.

yeh i've seen dutch crosses too :( ppl 'release' domestic ones then they breed with wildies - my vet said thats why there's so many variant of wildies now.

about a year ago (may last year in fact) i seen a baby dutch cross on the side of the road, made hubby turn car round (id had a dream a few weeeks before that i seen a dutch rabbit and stopped and caught it, at the very very same place) but couldn't find it, i cried for days and went back with pellets etc but I just never seen him again - til a few months ago we were driving home from work and i seen it in a different field (across the road from where it was) - with a whole black / brown / white family :love::love::love:

sadly a week later the effing council or developers or something started digging their field up :( Its just like watership down :( altho last week i seen one of them in the field as they've only dug the entrance up (so far)

I understand that black is the the commonest natural colour variant but as said released/escaped domestic rabbits add to the colour variation, which can continue for decades after people have left islands uninhabited.
I was surprised that even in deep dusk agouti remains the best camouflage. Black rabbits stand out like sore thumbs!

I saw a little black bunny on the verge on my way to work this morning. She/he was happily nomming the grass. My counsellor who lives near there told me earlier this week that there is a field of them - all black. Am glad I knew that or I would have panicked thinking the bun was a pet who had escaped.

Back