• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit worried

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
Ludo just had a couple of crash landings.

One was during a super binky in which he landed head first into a bunny barrier (the sheets of MDF I put up to stop him getting to 'my' bit of my room). The other was in a jump down from a chair which went a bit wrong.

He seems fine, and has eaten his SS/excel half eggcup as normal.

What happens if he's damaged his back teeth and I can't see?

Do you think he'll be ok?

If he's eating ok at his normal speed should he be ok?

*worries*

If he is looking ok, I wouldn't worry too much. Having said that, is he normally that clumsy? My buns rarely crash into things or fall off things, and I would be a bit worried to see them fall/crash into something more than once in a short space of time.

He always crashes into the walls when he binkies and bunny 500s yes, it's a bit scary. Sometimes he knocks them so hard he destroys my nice barriers and I have to put them up again.

The jump down from the chair.. well there's a long story there, no it's not normal. Ludo's only young (11 months) and has had lots of health problems since he was 5 months old so hasn't been neutered. Ironically at the exact age he'd have been done he was fighting for his life.

Later on he was booked in, but when the (rabbit-savvy) vet saw him they advised against it for the time being.

I'm leaving lots out here, but essentially to cut a long story short I've been in two minds, weighing up the risks in his case against the benefits and haven't been sure. I've been scared to ask for advice publicly in case people felt I just wasn't neutering him because I didn't believe in it, which isn't the case. However, 3 days ago, Ludo decided to start jumping 5ft up onto my shoulder, hopped on to my lap and peed down my front when I'm on my desk chair, lucky me, I'm loved! Tonight he tried the same but I didn't give him the snuggling space on my lap this time, I told him to get off and put my arm over my lap instead. He was disgusted and hopped down, 5ft, landed on his willow sticks, had a crash landing. I think that answers the neutering thing, although there's clearly a risk from neutering, I think there is a risk to his health from not neutering too, so I guess the poor boy will be neutered.

Next step is a phone call with the vet to find out what steps we can take to minimalise the risks to Ludo with neutering, I'll be absolutely terrified.

He always crashes into the walls when he binkies and bunny 500s yes, it's a bit scary. Sometimes he knocks them so hard he destroys my nice barriers and I have to put them up again.

The jump down from the chair.. well there's a long story there, no it's not normal. Ludo's only young (11 months) and has had lots of health problems since he was 5 months old so hasn't been neutered. Ironically at the exact age he'd have been done he was fighting for his life.

Later on he was booked in, but when the (rabbit-savvy) vet saw him they advised against it for the time being.

I'm leaving lots out here, but essentially to cut a long story short I've been in two minds, weighing up the risks in his case against the benefits and haven't been sure. I've been scared to ask for advice publicly in case people felt I just wasn't neutering him because I didn't believe in it, which isn't the case. However, 3 days ago, Ludo decided to start jumping 5ft up onto my shoulder, hopped on to my lap and peed down my front when I'm on my desk chair, lucky me, I'm loved! Tonight he tried the same but I didn't give him the snuggling space on my lap this time, I told him to get off and put my arm over my lap instead. He was disgusted and hopped down, 5ft, landed on his willow sticks, had a crash landing. I think that answers the neutering thing, although there's clearly a risk from neutering, I think there is a risk to his health from not neutering too, so I guess the poor boy will be neutered.

Next step is a phone call with the vet to find out what steps we can take to minimalise the risks to Ludo with neutering, I'll be absolutely terrified.

The more Rabbit Savvy your vet is, and the more Bunnies they do operate on the more experience they have with anaesthetic equals less chance that something will go wrong *hugs*
Have a good long chat with the vet to make sure you feel totally confident, you're already making sure he has the best diet :)
It does sound as though he's going to become just like my cousins bunny Dexter before he was neutered.
Such a sweet wee guy, then BAM pee everywhere and the leg humping...
:lol: xxx

Oh dear! Sounds like he has been very poorly in his little life, bless him. Neutering should only be done if it is safe for the bunny, it's not as much of a risk not neutering a buck as it is for a doe. Often with a doe the risk of cancer outweighs the anesthetic risk, but in Ludo's case, I can fully understand not wanting o neuter him unless he really needed it.
Sounds like he feeling very frisky! Poor you! :lol:

Definitely have a chat with your vet, it sounds like he is starting to feel frustrated, although it could be the time of the year, even though spring is over and done with, bunnies still tend to feel more frisky in the warmer weather.

Poor Ludo, I hope he doesn't end up hurting himself!

I can sympathise with your reservations about having Ludo neutered. I put off having Spenser done for months, although in his case it was partly because he didn't show any hormonal symptoms.

I agree that talking it over with a good rabbit vet would be the best next step for you to take. :wave:

Back