• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is he Belgian Hare?

rabbitpig

Young Bun
Hello everyone! this is our new rabbit who we took from a rescue last weekend. He is settling in nicely and him and our other rabbit seem to have bonded really well so we are delighted! Just wondering on what peoples opinions are on what breed he is (I don't actually care, just out of interest!) we were told he was a Belgian Hare and he definitely has a 'harey' look about him but I thought they were supposed to be quite large rabbits and he isn't very big at all. I wouldn't think he is over 3kg, will find out his weight for definite at the vets next week but that's my guess! he doesn't look like a lot of the pictures of Belgian hares that I've seen either so i'm thinking he is maybe a cross with something smaller.

998164_10201490700651844_1468884387_n.jpg

1005294_10201491463470914_559619437_n.jpg

936463_10201491468031028_850504927_n.jpg

Aww thanks, he is gorgeous, just wish I could cuddle him. For now I have to make do with an occasional pat whenever he dares to come close enough to take food from my hand!

he is lovely :) i'd say either a belgian or a belgian cross. don't forget not all pedigree rabbits are standard bred- some don't bother breeding for the breed standard and their buns can end up looking a bit less like the breed description .
also if i dare say it - he probably isn't looking his best- he has had a lot of upheaval and looks a bit on skinny side and is moulting- i suspect after a few weeks of settling in and your loving care he will look a far sleeker boy-and so more like his breed. my two belgian boys are moulting at the moment and look very scruffy- nothing like the elegant form they have when in full coat. anyhow i think he is lovely :)

There's definitely some hare in there, I'm going to go with a belgian hare cross because he's not quite as red and not as long in body as most purebred belgian hare's I've seen, but then again the ones I've seen were show quality and it's possible that non show quality hare's look very different

he is lovely :) i'd say either a belgian or a belgian cross. don't forget not all pedigree rabbits are standard bred- some don't bother breeding for the breed standard and their buns can end up looking a bit less like the breed description .
also if i dare say it - he probably isn't looking his best- he has had a lot of upheaval and looks a bit on skinny side and is moulting- i suspect after a few weeks of settling in and your loving care he will look a far sleeker boy-and so more like his breed. my two belgian boys are moulting at the moment and look very scruffy- nothing like the elegant form they have when in full coat. anyhow i think he is lovely :)

thanks, yes he is in very poor condition. He has something sticky on his fur, I've no idea what it is as he was like that when we picked him up! I have been trying to brush it out whenever he will let me but that's not very often. He really needs a bath but I don't think he would forgive me for a long time if I attempted it! so i'm just getting it out a tiny bit at a time. I also think the rabbit he was in with at the rescue had been picking on him as he has a lot of large chunks of hair missing which doesn't help with his motheaten appearance! He is bit thin, I am trying to feed him up much to our other rabbits delight as she is a fatty and doesn't usually get any pellets but I don't want to separate them to feed him when they are only just bonded so she keeps stealing as many as she can when she thinks no one is looking!

We are really very happy with him, and he seems to be settling in well... I saw a tiny little binky earlier when their pen was out in the garden! cant wait for him to get tamer so we can let him out for some free range time!

He's lovely :) He looks very hare like in the first pic but less so in the close up so I'd agree probably a cross :)

Awwww he's gorgeous so's your girly :love:

It's really odd to me he looks like he has a bunny face and a belgian hare body :lol:
He's deffo got hare in him but not sure what he's been crossed with.
His ears are a bit small compared to my Belgian hare X, but he has a lovely arch :love:

Could you use baby wipes to wipe the stikyness away?
Or even just a wet face cloth?
A full bath would just stress the poor guy out bless.

When our guinea pig got icky once we thought about washing her and she did it herself remarkably quickly. May be worth just leaving him to settle for a few days and seeing what he grooms off!

I would say definately a BH cross, he is exactly like my Rusty and he is a hare cross out of a pure belgian doe and possibly a wildie. (JUST NIPING OUTSIDE TO MAKE SURE YOU AINT NICKED MY BOY:lol:)and I must say your boy is very hansome.

nice bunny! no idea what he is but he's very handsome. and small-rabbit has immense charm with those sweet little ears.

Last edited:
Back