• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

red stuff *pic*

vergo97

Warren Scout
There's some red stuff on the shed floor and a bit out in the run, is it blood or could it be wee or something else? I don't think he's got a wound anywhere :?

Thanks, I've just been out to see him and he was lying in the sun looking happy, I've had a look at his bum and it's all clean and he doesn't seem hurt so I don't understand where it's coming from!

Some cauliflower and I'm just about to put some pellets down now.
My dad put some strawberries in the other day, I didn't think he'd eaten any of them but if he had could that have caused this?

Strawberries could have caused it - but if it was a couple of days ago, I doubt that's the case.

It does look more like blood than red wee. I would do what Rachylou suggested.

My two have produced wee like this on a few occasions, but always after having LOADS of dandelions. So it could be something they've eaten, but it would probably have to be something new if you've not seen it before, or in a much larger quantity than normal. Mine can have wee this colour even late the next day after eating dandelions!

I once found something like that in the run. I rang the vet and went to get all 3 in the carrier as I wasn't sure who was ill. As a last minute idea I soaked some up on a bit of kitchen towel to take with me and it was on there I could see it was actually very dark orange wee! They had a lot of dandelions and bramble leaves and stalks which I think caused it.
Try soak some up.. see what the colour is on white towel.

All I can suggest is to smell it-dab a finger, piece of kitchen towel in it and sniff. You'll know what wee smells like, blood smells very different. Hope all's OK.

I once found something like that in the run. I rang the vet and went to get all 3 in the carrier as I wasn't sure who was ill. As a last minute idea I soaked some up on a bit of kitchen towel to take with me and it was on there I could see it was actually very dark orange wee! They had a lot of dandelions and bramble leaves and stalks which I think caused it.
Try soak some up.. see what the colour is on white towel.

This just made me think... He's had apple branches in his run which is a new thing, could they cause wee like that?

I'll just go and do that test

I don't know how to do that :oops: I saw him eating some of the cauliflower not long ago so he's still eating though

I don't think so, there was some splatters in the run as well and it seems like quite a lot of blood to lose without noticing.

I should probably mention that there was something that looked like blood in the shed/run a few weeks ago and he had a wet bum, we took Freddy to the vets but by the time we got to the vets (the next day or so) the wet bum had gone and they said he looked fine. They gave him a trim because his bum was a bit messy but other than that there was nothing wrong :?

I don't think so, there was some splatters in the run as well and it seems like quite a lot of blood to lose without noticing.

I should probably mention that there was something that looked like blood in the shed/run a few weeks ago and he had a wet bum, we took Freddy to the vets but by the time we got to the vets (the next day or so) the wet bum had gone and they said he looked fine. They gave him a trim because his bum was a bit messy but other than that there was nothing wrong :?

Very weird! Sounds like he needs to go back to the vet for more tests etc. :(

Could he have broken a claw? If he washed his paws once the bleeding stopped then it might not be obvious but I would check to see he still has all his claws.

Back