• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Be even more careful to check your bunnies in the heat

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I know everyone already knows this just wanted to give a gentle reminder to keep checking the position of runs, making sure it's not in the blazing sun. I have put towels over the top of part of the runs for shade. I would hate any bunny to get too warm. :wave:

When it is very hot I provide frozen bottles of water with tea towels over for my bunnies to lay up against if they want, and spray the outsides of their ears with cool water.

Donny really suffers :( I froze the heatpads and they're working well :) better than bottles as they get avoided by my 2! Although I still put them in the shed to offer an area of cooler air! They have a white sheet over their run and they're spending most of the time outside.

Just read something on a Facebook group that sounds good, if you cover your shed roof (if the bunnies have a shed!) then it keeps the temperature down. Will have to do that tomorrow!

Ours are out in their run at present but we're checking them every 30 minutes or so. We use an old polycotton shower curtain to cover the run, making sure that only about 1/3 of the run is not covered because Pineapple does like to sunbathe. We peg the shower curtain down with clothes pegs but otherwise leave it loose like a tent so the breeze can get under and into it.

The curtain doesn't cover all of the run but we make sure that the south facing side is well covered and the east or west side depending on the time of day.

My bunnies are indoors but it does get very warm in my flat in summer - which I love but I noticed that Dermot and Daisy (the fluffies) seems very lethargic last weekend so I went out and bought a portable Air conditioner - and they are a whole load more comfortable now. I also get them slate tiles which they all seemed to love. Woo hoo - getting the hang of this bunny stuff now:D

So glad I cancelled my holiday plans this year - these bunnies are costing me a fortune :D (and are worth every penny :love:)

Back