• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hayrack on the ceiling?!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Does anyone have a hay rack on the hutch ceiling?! As I've made the litter tray high sided, I'm wondering where to put their hay rack and wondered if I get one of the ikea plastic bag holders could I fix it to the ceiling above the litter tray, as the large slots in this 'rack' would then be directly above them so I imagine they'd be able to get the hay out ok? There's a possibility I could attach it to the side and actually use it to slot the litter tray under to keep it in place (if that makes sense!) but opinions would be appreciated :D

Here's the litter tray in the hutch...
C46B8778-CC80-4157-8637-BA427EF6E7A3-20134-0000141DC99F5C0C_zpse04dee87.jpg

And here's the ikea bag holder for anyone that doesn't know what I'm going on about!
EE5D82CB-E8C8-467D-B189-AE0E5633C7B1-20592-0000149AAD6A460F_zps52f61eac.jpg

:wave:

I wouldn't, simply because I can't imagine it would be very comfortable for them having to tilt their head that far back so often

If they're young, fit and fairly tall bunnies, and you can put it sideways across the litter tray, then it should be okay, but I would put it on one of the beams at the back of the litter tray :)

"ooooh what a feeling, when your hayracks on the ceiling" :lol::lol:

I've got high sided litter trays like yours and I've screwed a cup hook into the wall just above the tray to hang baskets on to put hay in, so the basket hangs inside the litter tray next to the side.

The girls have got these :- http://m.direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=001424753 I cut the holes with sharp scissors so 2 holes next to each other formed a slot.

The boys customised the asda ones, they made the holes bigger then shredded it :lol: so they have these :- http://m.homebase.co.uk/mt/www.home...51&partNumber=575129&un_jtt_v_unSetCookie=yes
The metal ones didn't hang so well so I made a loop with a tie wrap to hang it from the cup hook.

Thanks for the ideas everyone :wave: I'll sort something out on the side wall or hook something on, that's a good idea as it won't matter if it hangs over the tray if its on hooks :D

I wouldn't advise overhead hay, one of my bunnies kept on getting hay seeds stuck in his eyes when I had a hay rack high on the wall, the risk would be even higher from an overhead rack.

Lovely big litter tray :D

Back