• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

jaw abcess in elderly rabbit

bunlover

Warren Veteran
Coco has a jaw abcess to add to his troubles I'm waiting for vet to call me back to discuss things thankfully as he is currently down with my mum he has the best rabbit vet I know. I think surgery has been suggested now quick background coco is 11.5yrs he is good with ga and has annual or so dentals he also gets snuffles generally when run down and is prone to stasis. He also is very fussy food wise and currently has a snapped cruciate ligament which the surrounding scar tissue is building nicely on and has started to use his leg again. He has scent gland problems because currently despite metatanium cream being put on he has ulcers still he is on high dose metacam. and recently got fly strike despite rear gaurding and now has xenex too to prevent fly strike he no longer has urine scald as he can use his leg better as this was part contribution to flystrike. Please help I want to know what treatments you have had for jaw abcesses and how successful I'm a bit anti surgery and would like to try something iv read called bicillin which I think has had good results from articles found online. Many thanks.but am aware this could be surgery needed. He is fine in himself and currently eating well x

I think the route our vet wants to go down is bead packing though I have to wait for the call about that he has been started on a penicillin injection which he is having every three days. My major concerns are with the aftermath of the surgery and a long procedure under ga given his age and other problems. X

I think the route our vet wants to go down is bead packing though I have to wait for the call about that he has been started on a penicillin injection which he is having every three days. My major concerns are with the aftermath of the surgery and a long procedure under ga given his age and other problems. X

Have spoken to the vet I'm considering managing the abcess with duprofen and metacam because he is still eating and is old and I'm not sure how much he could cope with in terms of aftercare we shall see how we go still open to hear advice from those who have experianced this x

sounds exactly like what our bun had...:( she had 2 in her jaw , one after the other in the same place:shock: she lived very happily for 2 years with abscesses coming and going over that time. she died of an unrelated stroke. we used intrasite gel in the wound after cleaning it daily, she too was on duprofen and metacam. she had to have a lot of her jaw removed due to the abscess eating into it. she only had a couple of back teeth on one side and no others, we just mashed/chopped up her food. she loved banana mashed up the most:love: I think she was incredibly brave and we only kept her going through all the treatments because she never let it get her down, she took everything we had to put her through. she even ate as soon as she woke from her second jaw surgery despite losing teeth and jaw bone:shock: let your bun tell you what he wants to do and how much he is prepared to go through...good luck:love:

Back