• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So it turns out Scarlet is blind in one eye

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
Hi All
I've been wondering about Scarlet's eyesight for some time now further to a few suspiscious signs. She bites the edge of the water dish before drinking, goes to the wrong place when you feed a treat through the mesh, pulls the food dish in towards her and her hearing is way more acute than Ori's, she reacts to sound and movement rather than things and is absolutely fearless, next doors staffy doesn't phase her at all which it turns out is because she can't actually see it. I can only assume Lola (said staffy) smells small and friendly (Ori would disagree strongly as on the rare occasions she visits he is in the shed like a shot).
So, I asked the vet to check her eyes when we went this morning for her booster and her monthly teeth check. One doesn't react to any stimulation whatsoever and he said he doesn't think she has any sight in that eye at all and the other reacts very slowly. The side she can't see is the side where her teeth were horrendous and have mostly been removed. My poor wee baby girl. I don't know if it's always been like this or if it's developed over time. We've had her just over two years now.
She of course is perfectly happy, still a little madam and cannot see what any of the fuss is about!

Hi All
I've been wondering about Scarlet's eyesight for some time now further to a few suspiscious signs. She bites the edge of the water dish before drinking, goes to the wrong place when you feed a treat through the mesh, pulls the food dish in towards her and her hearing is way more acute than Ori's, she reacts to sound and movement rather than things and is absolutely fearless, next doors staffy doesn't phase her at all which it turns out is because she can't actually see it. I can only assume Lola (said staffy) smells small and friendly (Ori would disagree strongly as on the rare occasions she visits he is in the shed like a shot).
So, I asked the vet to check her eyes when we went this morning for her booster and her monthly teeth check. One doesn't react to any stimulation whatsoever and he said he doesn't think she has any sight in that eye at all and the other reacts very slowly. The side she can't see is the side where her teeth were horrendous and have mostly been removed. My poor wee baby girl. I don't know if it's always been like this or if it's developed over time. We've had her just over two years now.
She of course is perfectly happy, still a little madam and cannot see what any of the fuss is about!

Don't get another rabbit. You have obviously not been feeding you present one correctly. They should not need a food dish, as their main diet should be feed category hay, and grass. with the addition of a cupful of veg a day. and plenty of water, The reason your rabbit had to have her teeth removed, and the resulting blindness, was because of the bad diet you have been giving her, Rabbit don't get pellets in the wild. nor should they in your home. This is promoted by pet shops to sell the pellets, which are designed to make rabbits fat fast, for the food or fur trade. A fat rabbit is a unwell rabbit. Rabbits should spend hours eating hay, or grass. this wear on the teeth, stops them growing to long, and developing problems like tooth decay due to eating the wrong food

Don't get another rabbit. You have obviously not been feeding you present one correctly. They should not need a food dish, as their main diet should be feed category hay, and grass. with the addition of a cupful of veg a day. and plenty of water, The reason your rabbit had to have her teeth removed, and the resulting blindness, was because of the bad diet you have been giving her, Rabbit don't get pellets in the wild. nor should they in your home. This is promoted by pet shops to sell the pellets, which are designed to make rabbits fat fast, for the food or fur trade. A fat rabbit is a unwell rabbit. Rabbits should spend hours eating hay, or grass. this wear on the teeth, stops them growing to long, and developing problems like tooth decay due to eating the wrong food

I think if you take the time to read RedFraggle's previous posts you will find she is very competent and knowledgeable as a rabbit carer and that Scarlett's dental problems existed LONG before RedFraggle was caring for her... she is in fact extremely lucky to have found such a dedicated owner given her previous dental problems and the ongoing expense of them.:?

What a nasty post. :( Many of us are caring for maloccluded rabbits resulting from genetic defects and nothing whatsoever to do with how/what we feed them.

I'm really sorry to hear that little Scarlett has another problem. I am sure she will cope just fine with her reduced sight.

Bentley my conti only has one eye and Roo (who is a rew) has very poor eyesight, both cope absolutely fine. Roo does tend to bump into things, so I just make sure I don't move his stuff around. He'll sometimes bump into Sugar when they are having a run around on the lawn, but he has a tough head and she is nicely padded, so no harm is done.

I think your post is very unkind, unfair and totally inaccurate. My little Dutch doe is blind because of being left to starve and untreated eye infections. My French lop is blind because some being who I don't even consider human, tried to poke them out with a biro pen, doing loads of irreversible damage :evil:

Please be careful with your tone when posting, and remember reading a single post does not give you the full story.

PeterJames, your posts have been coming across very rude. I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and not assuming that you are a troll and here to cause trouble. Before you post please think about what you're saying, look at the past posts from the other users and see how they do treat their animals before making assumptions about them. No where in RedFraggles post did she indicate her rabbit is overweight, that she doesn't get hay, that the dental issues were caused by a lack of hay or what her history was before RedFraggle became the owner or that the blindness was diet related.
Many of us rescue our rabbits and many have health issues that come about because of the treatment before they came in to rescue or because of genetic issues. I had a rabbit who had her front teeth removed before she arrived with me, it wasn't mine nor the rescues fault it was partly diet and partly because she was a very flat faced netherland dwarf.

Oh my! I suggest you read this before judging me http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...of-a-dental-bun&highlight=scarlet+tale+dental

Thanks for leaping to my defence folks :love:

Everyone should leap to your defence - the reply you received was quite out of order.

Indeed.

Let's move on and not let someone being a twonk spoil things :D

She bombs around the run, and dives through the catflap into the shed at a million miles an hour, you'd never really know but her fearlessness has always been a bit odd. I wish I knew whether this was a new thing or not.

goodness ... what a rude post reply !!!!!!!!!!

Scarlet is a very very lucky bunny ... She had these issues before going to her current home ...

AND ...Id like to point out that some domestic rabbits DO need pellets ... its what they are used to , and to stop them suddenly or even gradually, especially in older rabbits can result in weight loss and chronic problems .

*shakes head *:evil:

Poor wee Scarlett.. She sounds like a feisty wee thing all the same!!!

Fee xx

Guys, Tamsin's already dealt with the offending post - can we please let it drop now. :wave:

Aww, bless her. It's a good job you found out so you can help her cope with it. I am sure she'll be fine :)

Please give little Scarlet a gentle noserub from me. xxx Bless her little heart.

I will ask madam if she'll permit it as a special favour. I shall probably get "Mammy GET OFF ME" and a fump like I did earlier. :lol: Apparently we are making a fuss about nothing, she's aboslutely fine and it's not her fault if we only just worked out she can barely see.

Back