• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slightly breathing fast?

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Is this a sign of anything? Cookie was fine last night, she has eaten her pellets overnight and I saw her eating hay at bedtime, but today something is not quite right. She normally is sleepy about now and doesn't necessarily eat at this time anyway, but today she was sat in a different place (where she wees), and seems to be breathing slightly fast. She's not hot, neither has she been running around. There was a small wee that was a little bit thick on her paper, but all 3 do these from time to time.
I can't hear/feel any gas in her tummy. She was bumbling normally last night but not sure of what was in her poop corner was from today or yesterday.

Could the breathing be a sign of infection/pain somewhere?

I get so anxious over their health, it even makes me question myself if I am imagining things :oops: :(

I'm going to change her litter so I can check on any output from now so have extra info for the vet if she has to go. These bunnies are like clockwork so any slight change in their routine sets me panicking (I am usually right though!)she has just started a mega moult and that always makes her and h sisters slightly 'off' .

There are several possible causes of an increased respiratory rate- Pain, stress, over-heating, respiratory tract infection, heart problems.
So really without examining her it's impossible to say for certain what may be going on.

peter

Is this a sign of anything? Cookie was fine last night, she has eaten her pellets overnight and I saw her eating hay at bedtime, but today something is not quite right. She normally is sleepy about now and doesn't necessarily eat at this time anyway, but today she was sat in a different place (where she wees), and seems to be breathing slightly fast. She's not hot, neither has she been running around. There was a small wee that was a little bit thick on her paper, but all 3 do these from time to time.
I can't hear/feel any gas in her tummy. She was bumbling normally last night but not sure of what was in her poop corner was from today or yesterday.

Could the breathing be a sign of infection/pain somewhere?

I get so anxious over their health, it even makes me question myself if I am imagining things :oops: :(

I'm going to change her litter so I can check on any output from now so have extra info for the vet if she has to go. These bunnies are like clockwork so any slight change in their routine sets me panicking (I am usually right though!)she has just started a mega moult and that always makes her and h sisters slightly 'off' .

You should not worry about a change in breathing rhythm. Most rabbits, being prey animals, will feel fear for the most innoxiously reasons. Have you never noticed this when they are sleeping, it is normal. I don't know how long you have had your rabbits, but feeding them with pellets is not a good idea. I know it is a cheap way of feeding them, but not the best. They should be eating feed category hay. and grass hay. With the addition of a cup full of veg a day. like swede, cucumber skin, tomato, parsnip, beetroot. and many other veg, like parsley. You can get a list of safe rabbit veg from the internet. This with plenty of water, is all your rabbit should get to eat. This will keep them slim, and fighting fit, as in the wild. The trouble is, it will cost you £4 a week per rabbit.

Last edited:
If the breathing is still heavier than normal then I would book her into the vets to get checked over. As Jane said it could be a number of things.

You should not worry about a change in breathing rhythm. Most rabbits, being prey animals, will feel fear for the most innoxiously reasons. Have you never noticed this when they are sleeping, it is normal. I don't know how long you have had your rabbits, but feeding them with pellets is not a good idea. I know it is a cheap way of feeding them, but not the best. They should be eating feed category hay. and grass hay. With the addition of a cup full of veg a day. like swede, cucumber skin, tomato, parsnip, beetroot. and many other veg, like parsley. You can get a list of safe rabbit veg from the internet. This with plenty of water, is all your rabbit should get to eat. This will keep them slim, and fighting fit, as in the wild. The trouble is, it will cost you £4 a week per rabbit.

I wouldn't feed this to my bun - parsnip is very high in sugar and why give a rabbit cucumber skin? Tomato is not ideal either.

Thank you all xxx

I am going to book her in when they re open In a min. I've just seen her do another tiny wee, and she has turned down a fenugreek crunchie. I have left an extra bowl of water on her sitting platform with her and she has just left it. She does not tolerate anything up there at all and will throw it down normally so I'm now convinced something is going on. She was checked at her vaccinations a few weeks ago, so I am hopeful it is not a sudden change in teeth. I am thinking maybe urinary tract issues maybe due to getting a bit dehydrated in the heat or maybe moult/fur ingestion related.

Peterjames - I guess my post comes across a bit 'new owner ish :oops: :lol: ' these bunnies I've had almost 3 years, they seem super sensitive compared to any I have had before. They only have minimal pellets, but lots of good hay and a sprinkling of ready grass to go searching for. Veggies are minimal (every couple of days) and only ever greens or a tiny bit of kale, as they are gas prone, and anything more than this they get loose excess ceacals. I think the balance they get at the moment is about right, but perhaps the lack of 'wet' veggies while the weather has been more humid has caused Cookies problem this time?

ETA: I've just caught her moving around and going to the toilet again - another small wee. She was also eating something, but I didn't see if it was hay or a ceacal or even a regular bumble. When she has been unwell before I have caught her eating ALL her bumbles, as if she is desperately trying to get all the nutrients back as she would with eating ceacs, i'm glad I caught her doing it that time as otherwise I would have thought she wasn't passing any. She is alert and bright, so I am very hopeful it is something treatable.

Update: the fenugreek crunchie has just been demolished. Lola was also slow with hers earlier, and was almost suspicious of it. Sniffing it thoroughly before eating it veeery slowly (not like her!) It has dawned on me that I had been holding bananas before touching the crunchies. They think I am trying to poison them if they get a sniff of banana so that could account for that with Cookie. I am certain it was the reason for Lola!

Last edited:
She is back to normal Cookie now! We think she was just a bit dehydrated, but everything is in full working order now. These girls certainly like to give me scares! I am encouraging her to drink more, and making sure her greens are drenched in water too.

Thank you all xxx

Back