• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lots of/uneaten cecotropes

midori1999

Alpha Buck
One of my bunnies, Rebel, who I have had for a few weeks only seems to be doing a lot of cecotropes or isn't eating them. He had a vet check and was vaccinated by the rescue's (very, very good!) vet before I got him, so I assume that means his teeth etc are ok?

He is a bit thin and the rescue acknowledged this and suggested I weigh him weekly and use some junior pellets alongside his adult ones for now. They have unlimited hay, obviously, and a big handful of pellets between the two of them each night, plus I give Rebel about a desert spoonful of the junior pellets separately each day. (other bun is a recent addition too and a bit overweight). They have both had access to grass the last few weeks, which I have been building up gradually and they aren't having any greens really as I wondered if that was the cause of his problem. I do give them a tiny bit of carrot every few days though at night.

It has got better, he had quite runny poos the first day or so (which I assumed was probably the move/bonding) and the cecotropes have got less. He is very alert and active and quite a personality. He eats his hay well and doesn't seem depressed or anything.

It's difficult to weigh him as he won't stay still or in the large bowl I have to put him in to weigh him, but I think he has gone from 1609g to about 1900g. (he is a dutch and about a year old)

Is this something I need to worry about? Can rabbits have probiotics and if so, would that be a good idea?

I don't know, but Lola was producing loooads of extra poopers not too long ago and it was because of the timothy and rye hay they had, I guess it was too rich for her. With the ings they stopped straight away. Could it be their hay?

I suspect the excess cecals are due to the amount of pellets he is having. What pellets are they ?, Excel are known to cause excess cecals in some Rabbits.

You could give him some Fibreplex for a few days

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

Whilst you say he has constant access to hay does he actually eat enough of it ? Maybe not if he is having a lot of pellets.

I would be inclined to slightly reduce the pellets and if using Excel gradually change to Fibafirst

http://www.fibafirst.com/breaking-the-mould/

I would cut out the carrot and instead feed some fresh herbs. Fresh Blackberry leaves would be good too if you can locate some.

It might be and that might be why they have gotten less. Since I have had him they've had baled hay which is from the same place as the rescue, but I've also been using up some of the burgess dandelion and herb (I think!) hay and some Alfalfa Kings timothy hay, which I don't think he'll have been used to. Although they've only had the baled hay for a couple of days now.

I was going to order some hay from hay for pets so they have a variety, but I'll maybe wait a bit and see how they go.

I suspect the excess cecals are due to the amount of pellets he is having. What pellets are they ?, Excel are known to cause excess cecals in some Rabbits.

You could give him some Fibreplex for a few days

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

Whilst you say he has constant access to hay does he actually eat enough of it ? Maybe not if he is having a lot of pellets.

I would be inclined to slightly reduce the pellets and if using Excel gradually change to Fibafirst

http://www.fibafirst.com/breaking-the-mould/

I would cut out the carrot and instead feed some fresh herbs. Fresh Blackberry leaves would be good too if you can locate some.

Thankyou, that's helpful. He is on Burgess pellets, but this is what the rescue use, so I assumed he would be ok with them? I will maybe try cutting out the junior pellets first and see if that helps, does that sound ok?

He does seem to eat a lot of hay, he certainly did nothing but eat it at first, but you're right that the pellets may be stopping him eating so much. :oops:

I can get some blackberry leave, but I have been reluctant to give them as one of my other buns have really bad tummy troubles when I tried a few, even though I know they're meant to be good for digestion. I'll maybe try the fibafirst. I'll order some so I have it ready.

Thanks again.

Back