• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on new adult rabbit!

aimzy

Young Bun
Hi! Got my new bun yesterday. She's around a year and 2 months. She's acting very nervous towards me. Yesterday I just left her to settle in. Today she's let me stroke her but she's not too keen on being picked up? Is there anything I can do? Maybe I'm rushing things?
Also, when we got the the owners house she said that she has been pulling out fur and building a nest. She said she's ready to have more babies... Could any of this behaviour be linked at all? I can try and add some images in a minute. Thanks!

Is she already pregnant ? If so and she is nesting she will kindle (give birth) within the next 24 hours.

If she is about to kindle/already pregnant/'just' hormonal then she may well not want to be handled. In general most Rabbits dont like being picked up, so to expect her to be OK about it so soon is a big ask.

First I would establish if she is pregnant and personally I would not take the previous owner's word for it if she says 'no'. People can be economical with the truth when it comes to selling Rabbits.

Is she already pregnant ? If so and she is nesting she will kindle (give birth) within the next 24 hours.

If she is about to kindle/already pregnant/'just' hormonal then she may well not want to be handled. In general most Rabbits dont like being picked up, so to expect her to be OK about it so soon is a big ask.

First I would establish if she is pregnant and personally I would not take the previous owner's word for it if she says 'no'. People can be economical with the truth when it comes to selling Rabbits.

She is quite large but I don't know for sure. She said she 'wants' baby's as she's made a nest but I have no idea if that's true or not. Is there any way of telling is she's pregnant? She also starts digging, not sure if that's a sign or not? I'm new to rabbit breeding so I'm sorry if its a stupid question to ask!

She is quite large but I don't know for sure. She said she 'wants' baby's as she's made a nest but I have no idea if that's true or not. Is there any way of telling is she's pregnant? She also starts digging, not sure if that's a sign or not? I'm new to rabbit breeding so I'm sorry if its a stupid question to ask!

if there are babies then you should be able to feel them if you press gently on the belly to have a feel.
Or you can get her to the vets?
Is she vaccinated yet?

I really hope she isn't pregnant, it'll save you and her the stress and you won't have to find a home for more babies!
Considering how hard it is to find homes for all the other buns in rescue.

If she is pregnant then there is a sticky about how to help bunny, and like how much to Feed and stuff.
Good luck.

Did you not research Rabbit Breeding before starting :? I suggest you have a read of this thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

It does sound as though she may be about to kindle. If she has not done so by tomorrow morning you need to get her examined by a Vet to ascertain if she is pregnant or not.

I really would urge you not to start breeding Rabbits without first doing A LOT of in depth research. Bringing new life into the world comes with a huge amount of responsibility- for the health of the animals you breed and for their lifelong welfare. It is not just a case of mating up any Buck and Doe and hoping for cute baby Bunnies. The genetic history of the Rabbits you breed from needs to be known, going back at least 2 generations. Then there is the responsibility of making sure any Rabbits you sell go to homes where their welfare will be appropriately catered for.

Did you not research Rabbit Breeding before starting :? I suggest you have a read of this thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...re-considering-breeding-then-please-read-this

It does sound as though she may be about to kindle. If she has not done so by tomorrow morning you need to get her examined by a Vet to ascertain if she is pregnant or not.

I really would urge you not to start breeding Rabbits without first doing A LOT of in depth research. Bringing new life into the world comes with a huge amount of responsibility- for the health of the animals you breed and for their lifelong welfare. It is not just a case of mating up any Buck and Doe and hoping for cute baby Bunnies. The genetic history of the Rabbits you breed from needs to be known, going back at least 2 generations. Then there is the responsibility of making sure any Rabbits you sell go to homes where their welfare will be appropriately catered for.

Thank you for all the advice. We got her yesterday and haven't bred her. I have done some research before. I have text the owner to see her view on it. I may take her to the vets in a few days time as the owner said she was very friendly but she's been a bit aggressive recently. Really not sure what to do now! I will defo keep an eye on her. Would she just be getting fat? Really sorry for all these questions! Thank you for the help!

I have just received a message from the owner saying she's defiantly not pregnant :)
Tried to feel for babies but she won't let me?!

Last edited:
I have just received a message from the owner saying she's defiantly not pregnant :)

I would not take her word for it, not for one second

If the Doe does not kindle overnight then you do need to get her examined by a Vet

Have you got documents showing her genetic history ? If not I would not breed from her at all. I would get her spayed and keep her as a family pet.

I would not take her word for it, not for one second

If the Doe does not kindle overnight then you do need to get her examined by a Vet

Have you got documents showing her genetic history ? If not I would not breed from her at all. I would get her spayed and keep her as a family pet.

Thank you jack's-Jane! I will defiantly call the vet soon. Could it by any change be a fulce pregnancy? I've read about it and it may be that. She had pulled out loads of hair at her previous owners but hasn't pulled out any since. She just digs. She's eating hay and her nuggets still. Very worried about her as I'm home alone and not sure what to do with her! Hehe!

No genetic history. Got told she's a purebred mini lop though she seems a bit bigger than another mini lop we saw. Saw an offspring of hers, red eyes white. He seemed pure. She's already has a litter f kits previously. The lady said she wanted her to go to a breeding home. That's all I know at the moment. :)

Thank you jack's-Jane! I will defiantly call the vet soon. Could it by any change be a fulce pregnancy? I've read about it and it may be that. She had pulled out loads of hair at her previous owners but hasn't pulled out any since. She just digs. She's eating hay and her nuggets still. Very worried about her as I'm home alone and not sure what to do with her! Hehe!

No genetic history. Got told she's a purebred mini lop though she seems a bit bigger than another mini lop we saw. Saw an offspring of hers, red eyes white. He seemed pure. She's already has a litter f kits previously. The lady said she wanted her to go to a breeding home. That's all I know at the moment. :)

In that case my advice would be NOT to breed from her. She could carry genetic problems-especially related to Dental Disease. Lops are very prone to Dental problems due to the relatively flattened shape of their skull. Poor breeding just exacerbates the problem. This would mean any of her litters could be effected and have health problems all their life.

In my opinion to breed from a Doe of 'unknown history' is a recipe for trouble and not in the best interests of either the Doe or any litters she may have.

In that case my advice would be NOT to breed from her. She could carry genetic problems-especially related to Dental Disease. Lops are very prone to Dental problems due to the relatively flattened shape of their skull. Poor breeding just exacerbates the problem. This would mean any of her litters could be effected and have health problems all their life.

In my opinion to breed from a Doe of 'unknown history' is a recipe for trouble and not in the best interests of either the Doe or any litters she may have.

Okay thank you very much for your information. I will consider to monitor her till tomorrow morning. If no kits I will take her to the vets to have a proper check up on her. Thanks!

Back