• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bit of a dilemma

marchi1990

Mama Doe
I am currently going through a bit of a dilemma with Woody.

He has SERIOUS dental disease - spurs need sorting every 4 weeks. This is FAR too much for him to have to deal with :(

He outright refuses to eat hay and will only touch a few strands of grass. Have tried EVERYTHING possible to change this. It's a constant battle with him.

This week I decided to reduce his pellets in an another attempt to get him to eat more grass and hay. I have noticed that he is eating more grass as a result.

However, he has lost weight. Around 4 weeks ago he was 2.45 and now weighs 2.31 - this seems like quite a drop. I don't know how quickly that happened.

What would you suggest? I know the grass will be helping his teeth but I don't want him losing weight.

He used to have about half a bowl (standard rabbit bowl) a day - it was quite a lot because I wanted to keep his weight up because of the lack of hay.

He is probably now having half a handful?

I have also cut out his evening veg - used to be about half handful of herbs and maybe a cabbage leaf.

I would possibly increase it gradually until you find the correct balance.

Alternatively with poorly buns who have weight issues I use junior pellets so I can give them the same qty and not affect the hay consumption as they are excellent for putting on weight. I think its probably the extra protein.

Last edited:
Hi :wave:

Have you ever tried him on fibafirst?

2 of my buns love it and have a couple of the "sticks" every evening. It took a while for them to decide to like it but does a good job of topping up their fibre.

x

Have you ever tried him on fibafirst?

2 of my buns love it and have a couple of the "sticks" every evening. It took a while for them to decide to like it but does a good job of topping up their fibre.

x

Yeah I tried this and he wasn't interested at all!! Sooooooo fussy.

I would possibly increase it gradually until you find the correct balance.

Alternatively with poorly buns who have weight issues I use junior pellets so I can give them the same qty and not affect the hay consumption as they are excellent for putting on weight. I think its probably the extra protein.

Both great suggestions - I will work out the right balance and sit with that! Thanks.

Have you tried getting other forage other than grass to encourage him to eat more fibre such as hawthorn, apple leaves and twigs, dandelions, cow parsley etc. Also what about giving him a small amount of oats daily...I'm sure I read someone who said they were good for putting weight on bunnies. Check this out though as I'm not sure if it's correct advice or not!

Have you tried getting other forage other than grass to encourage him to eat more fibre such as hawthorn, apple leaves and twigs, dandelions, cow parsley etc. Also what about giving him a small amount of oats daily...I'm sure I read someone who said they were good for putting weight on bunnies. Check this out though as I'm not sure if it's correct advice or not!

He is a dandelion lover and has also become partial to hawthorn so that should make a difference :D

:wave:

Back