• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broken Bonds, Struggling

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone

Up until a few weeks ago, I had a happy group of 5 - then out of the blue, Zero attacked Harvey.

Thinking something had spooked them, I tried to rebond when Harvey was healed. They started fighting, Misha got in the way and got bitten. I won't go into detail as it's very gory but he had a horrific injury and had to have surgery on his eye.

Cautiously, when this was healed, I tried to rebond yesterday. Zero flung himself at Misha and I took Misha out because I couldn't risk it again.

Now, the solution seems simple - I now have 3 boys that won't get on, just have 3 set ups, a trio (with one of my norty boys and the 2 girls I have) and 2 pairs, adopting wifey buns.

Apart from, this isn't possible. I moved in with my parents last year and my mum hates the animals, I have mentioned previously I had to rehome a lot of my brood to move back here. I bought a hutch for Harvey but they are refusing a third set up and say I have to rehome Misha.

I know with time I could maybe get him back into the trio but time is not something I am gifted with right now as my parents are very impatient for me to get all the rabbits back outside and I can't have another set up.

My only idea is to split the shed in half. I know I'm risking referred aggression but my parents will be less annoyed if I split the shed and adopt a bunny then if I have a third set up and adopt a bunny. Has anyone split a shed in half to house two groups?

I can't move out, I am very unhappy here but I can't afford to live alone and I am struggling with depression, living alone would not be good for me right now.

Has anyone split a shed in half to house two groups?

Hi,
I am really sorry to hear that you are having this trouble, earlier this year I had trouble bonding my bunny to another after his brother died. I ended up keeping him and his new 'wife' in my shed which I had to split in two for about a month before I managed to bond them. Due to his aggression with a previous attempted bonding with another rabbit I had to make sure the divider was thick enough that they couldn't fight through the mesh, but see through so they could see and smell one another.

I ordered 10 aviary panels for £50 from Ebay. I made the divider two panels thick with air space between. It was really simple to drill the panels into the shed floor, the walls and to each other. I will try to find a photo to show you. I also divided the run using a double layer of expanding trellis so that it fitted snugly into the run. They are now happily bonded and I have removed some but not all of the barrier in the shed ... just in case I ever need it again (which I did recently when Acorn had had an operation.).

I will try to dig out a photo so you can see what I am talking about. You could even order an aviary door so that you have an internal door to access one of the sides. It was a bit tricky without, as I had a divided doorway and it was hard to squeeze in everyday if you get what I mean.

Kate

This is Skye in the run, hopefully you can see that next to her is an expanding trellis from homebase, I then filled the psace between the two trellises with some more mesh, just to be safe!

This is Acorn on his side in the shed. I made sure I put the two panels together so that the mesh did not touch, therefore meaning they could not attack each other through it. You can also build up the height with more than one panel to prevent them jumping over, though I didn't really need to do this.
Hopefully this is helpful to you.
Kate

Back