• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difference in Vaccination Prices- UD Too got to be true

Janey

Warren Veteran
It is just ridiculous.....

Called my normal rabbit savvy vet which is out of London £38 each and it takes me about an hour to get there.

The Campanion Care vets in my local Pets at Home branch which is London is £17.50 and it will take me about 10 mins to get there

Can't see how the more expensive one can justify it, highlights how I have been ripped off for the last 3.5 years :roll::shock:

Last edited:
I think you've said the reason why in your post, one is rabbit savvy, the other isn't. There is a risk of the vaccine not providing full cover if the rabbit isn't in good health. Personally I prefer having a rabbit savvy vet do the vaccination, though having said that I would weigh that up against the stress of a two hour trip.

I think you've said the reason why in your post, one is rabbit savvy, the other isn't. There is a risk of the vaccine not providing full cover if the rabbit isn't in good health. Personally I prefer having a rabbit savvy vet do the vaccination, though having said that I would weigh that up against the stress of a two hour trip.

The thing is it is such a big practice and the rabbit savvy vet is so hard to get for the vaccinations I nev even see him. So really they are just charging an extortionate amount for a 'noraml' vet to give the vaccine. And to be honest for all I know here is a rabbit savvy vet at the new practice, I am yet to investigate.

Add to the fact that the rabbit savvy practice added things to my bill that weren't carried out when Poppy died and I only noticed because the insurance wouldn't pay out, I am reluctant to return unless I really have to.

The thing is it is such a big practice and the rabbit savvy vet is so hard to get for the vaccinations I nev even see him. So really they are just charging an extortionate amount for a 'noraml' vet to give the vaccine. And to be honest for all I know here is a rabbit savvy vet at the new practice, I am yet to investigate.

Add to the fact that the rabbit savvy practice added things to my bill that weren't carried out when Poppy died and I only noticed because the insurance wouldn't pay out, I am reluctant to return unless I really have to.

Oh dear, that does sound a bit iffy then :s

I just paid £36 each for Tulip and Mango today.
I will now be taking out their 'vac for life' though, which is £99 each and covers all future vacs :) My vet is quite expensive, but I think this works out really good value.

Medivet by any chance? They seem to like doing that unfortunately (have had it happen at Watford and Hendon). I do however go to Kingsbury Medivet (the vet is amazing) for my bunny jabs as it was the cheapest I found... plus as I had over 10 bunnies they gave me a discount. The Mayhew wanted to charge £50 :shock:

I just paid £36 each for Tulip and Mango today.
I will now be taking out their 'vac for life' though, which is £99 each and covers all future vacs :) My vet is quite expensive, but I think this works out really good value.

That's a good deal, it is if you have young rabbits anyway. Mine will both be 5 next birthday though....as grim as it sounds I'd have to do the maths (not that I have been offered the deal).

Companion Care also offer a discount for NHS employees, I am not one but the bunnies Dad ;) (my ex) is and I am sure he would come along to get me the discount if needs be-I also have an NHS card he was given to give to a relative/friend so perhaps that would work even.

I paid £31 each for my 2. The vet health checked them first and threw in getting their claws clipped too. They will get a free health check in 6 months. I haven't had bunnies for years and years so was new to vets. I think I called every vets in Chelmsford. Companion care had been recommended to me but I went on one very near to me as it turned out I knew a member of staff there and told me the best vet to make the appointment with. The buns hate travelling so this worked well being near to home. I could've gone to a slightly cheaper vet but most were around the £40 mark, including Companion Care.

So it seems the price was £17.50 plus the price of the consult which was £10, they failed to tell me this despite me calling twice to confirm the price.

Anyhow, I argued my case and they told me 'it was hard to believe' I hadnt been told the full place, I said I wasn't lying and they said 'oh we know' (slightly contradictory). Anyhow, they wavered the consult fee, although they still charged me £19.50- I was done arguing and couldn't be bothered to mention it.

Safe to say I will not be going the again, I didn't feel confident in the vets ability. I wish I could find a vets where I felt they were bunny savvy and not only in it for the money :roll:

And she also said Pixie had spurs yet didn't advise me to have a dental, they kind of said 'she needs a dental' I said 'I'll do it when I get back from my hols' they said ok but didn't mention it again when I left. Looks like the buns pellets will be getting reduced yet again.

my vet charges £17 for all vaccines, including bunny ones. so it's not too bad :wave: they want to encourage as many people as possible to vaccinate their animals. i like a few of the vets who seem rabbit savvy, not all of them are though.

I've just had my bill today - £31.75 each for Bobby and Sable. I'm not sure how much it would be for one, as I think I may have been given a multi-pet discount!

I go to my local companion care and it's £40 each. Every practice has a slightly different pricing structure, I don't think it's usually about being 'ripped off' at one or the other. So some vets will charge more for appointments and less for drugs, others might have cheaper consults but more expensive operations etc etc. ultimately they all have to cover their costs, and in a free market they can do that in whatever way they choose...in most places where there is more than one vet within a reasonable distance, either clients will think it's worth paying and will go there, or they won't and they will go elsewhere.

I've just had my bill today - £31.75 each for Bobby and Sable. I'm not sure how much it would be for one, as I think I may have been given a multi-pet discount!

If you got it done at Anton vets then it's £31.75 each, I'm going next week and that's the price they gave me on the phone for one :)

my vet ( manchester vet centre ) in denton quoted me £40 for the combined vacc. as the 2 indivdual ones added up to about £50 i thought that was ok . I asked for a discount as i was taking my 2 rabbits and my daughters 3 rabbits all at the same time, they instantly dropped the price to £25 per rabbit , which is ok for the combined.

if anyone knows cheaper than that in the manchester area please let me know

I go to my local companion care and it's £40 each. Every practice has a slightly different pricing structure, I don't think it's usually about being 'ripped off' at one or the other. So some vets will charge more for appointments and less for drugs, others might have cheaper consults but more expensive operations etc etc. ultimately they all have to cover their costs, and in a free market they can do that in whatever way they choose...in most places where there is more than one vet within a reasonable distance, either clients will think it's worth paying and will go there, or they won't and they will go elsewhere.

The thing is my vet has a history of over charging and was on that uncover programme a couple of years ago. Although it was all denied and I like the practice on the whole it makes it hard to trust them and it's easy to become suspicious. Anyhow....I will be taking Peter there when he's due for his vaccination.

Back