• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI Stasis please help

idolstar

Young Bun
last 2 days my rabbit has had stasis not full stasis the vet said he could still hear little gut noises.. The vet said that he could feel the poo inside her and that was the blockage.. I do have meds for her and she on a strong painkiller but the vet said if she does not poo today then iv to bring her back. vet said that if she doesn't poo by today then its not looking good and i should think of putting her down.. Now iv read that alot of people home treat stasis wondering if anyone could tell what to use to try and get the poo moving...

Thank you

Is your Rabbit eating and drinking at all ?

What medication has she been prescribed ?

She is only eating bits of grass and big leafs and not drinking any water

zantac and emeprid are the meds that have been given.. I give both 3 times a day zantac was given cause emeprid was not working.. Like i said before the vet believes that she should be pooing by now but shes not and if she does not poo they want to put her to sleep i do not..
the vet said that the block was poo cause he could feel it

What about pain relief ??

If the Vet felt a full blockage then he should have admitted your Rabbit for a full diagnostic work-up (Bloods/Abdominal Xray) and intensive care.

Fluids (subcutaneous/IV) are an absolute essential part of treatment.

Did the Vet not suggest this ?

What about pain relief ??

If the Vet felt a full blockage then he should have admitted your Rabbit for a full diagnostic work-up (Bloods/Abdominal Xray) and intensive care.

Fluids (subcutaneous/IV) are an absolute essential part of treatment.

Did the Vet not suggest this ?

He did give her a strong pain killer last night & water
he did not suggest full diagnostic..

all the vet did was check her teeth hear her tummy and felt it and said he could feel poo that was it and gave us meds to help it.. There i only 3 vets near me and i have been to all 3 and they all treat stasis like this just give meds...

I really think administering fluids is absolutely essential to soften the blockage and help it to start moving along. I personally, and ok some may not agree, but if the bunny was at home with me, I would be giving warmish water via a 1ml syringe, keeping bunny nice and warm, and tummy massages, because I really do think as the water gets into his system and you are massaging his tummy that could may well get things moving. Would I personally force small amounts of water into my bun? Yes, definitely in an attempt to get things moving. Good luck.

I really think administering fluids is absolutely essential to soften the blockage and help it to start moving along. I personally, and ok some may not agree, but if the bunny was at home with me, I would be giving warmish water via a 1ml syringe, keeping bunny nice and warm, and tummy massages, because I really do think as the water gets into his system and you are massaging his tummy that could may well get things moving. Would I personally force small amounts of water into my bun? Yes, definitely in an attempt to get things moving. Good luck.

Thank you rogerrabbit,

Hmm i will try warmish water and more tummy rubs

Thank you rogerrabbit,

The pain killer from last night will have worn off by now. So she will need more

If you are doing abdominal massage you need to be certain of what you are feeling on palpation of her abdomen. If there is a lot of bloating then extreme care is needed.

Thank you rogerrabbit,

I have successfully shifted a blockage this way before and am only suggesting you try it, as your vets seem to be going down a really drastic route, but as people keep reminding me, just because something has worked for me, doesn't make me an expert, but your vets option is as final as it can be. The water needs to very just warmish, because my vet said cold water from the tap is to much of a shock to the system and kind of defeats the option. Room temperature is also fine. Keeping bunny warm helps keep them nice and relaxed as well which will help with shifting this. If you look on 'You Tube' 'How to massage a rabbits tummy', I found an excellent one which I followed with my bun. Basically you mustn't be too hard, but you need a little bit of pressure for it to be effective and instead of going round and round in circles, it was more like stroking from beneath ribcage in the direction you want the blockage to start to move, but I did some circles too. What really helped as well was how the lady was very gently and slowly stretching bunnies back legs out as well. She would bring a leg very carefully up to tummy and then very slowly extend the leg out, and a couple of times I felt a physical shift. Initially only tiny bits of poo came out and it can feel like you could be there all day with nothing much happening, but even tiny bits are better than nothing, and EVENTUALLY enough tiny bits will pave the way for larger amounts to follow. Again, this is only what happened for me, but it might just be worth a try.

I have successfully shifted a blockage this way before and am only suggesting you try it, as your vets seem to be going down a really drastic route, but as people keep reminding me, just because something has worked for me, doesn't make me an expert, but your vets option is as final as it can be. The water needs to very just warmish, because my vet said cold water from the tap is to much of a shock to the system and kind of defeats the option. Room temperature is also fine. Keeping bunny warm helps keep them nice and relaxed as well which will help with shifting this. If you look on 'You Tube' 'How to massage a rabbits tummy', I found an excellent one which I followed with my bun. Basically you mustn't be too hard, but you need a little bit of pressure for it to be effective and instead of going round and round in circles, it was more like stroking from beneath ribcage in the direction you want the blockage to start to move, but I did some circles too. What really helped as well was how the lady was very gently and slowly stretching bunnies back legs out as well. She would bring a leg very carefully up to tummy and then very slowly extend the leg out, and a couple of times I felt a physical shift. Initially only tiny bits of poo came out and it can feel like you could be there all day with nothing much happening, but even tiny bits are better than nothing, and EVENTUALLY enough tiny bits will pave the way for larger amounts to follow. Again, this is only what happened for me, but it might just be worth a try.

Thank you,

Its just hard cause snowball hates being picked up so its hard to get her on her back for tummy rubs.. Is there something i could give her in the shop that could move the poo?

Thank you,

Its just hard cause snowball hates being picked up so its hard to get her on her back for tummy rubs.. Is there something i could give her in the shop that could move the poo?

I didn't put my bun on his back because I don't like doing that. I had him upright with my left arm under his front legs and his back against me, but his back feet were on my legs and I was sat down. I think in desperation I would try some infacol, as I think it gives some pain relief as well, and it shifts gas and maybe there is some gas as well, but the water is going to be your biggest help because it will soften it and make it easier for your bun to pass. As a guide, my vet said 7ml every hour, but if your bun will take more that will be even better.

Last edited:
I didn't put my bun on his back because I don't like doing that. I had him upright with my left arm under his front legs and his back against me, but his back feet were on my legs and I was sat down. I think in desperation I would try some infacol, as I think it gives some pain relief as well, and it shifts gas and maybe there is some gas as well, but the water is going to be your biggest help because it will soften it and make it easier for your bun to pass. As a guide, my vet said 7ml every hour, but if your bun will take more that will be even better.

She sit nicely for me this time and let me rub her tummy :D after i did that with some warm water i got 2 poo:p but they where dry and hairy poos

She sit nicely for me this time and let me rub her tummy :D after i did that with some warm water i got 2 poo:p but they where dry and hairy poos

Lots more water then to soften and sure you will get more. 2 is better than none, and it does start off really slow but at least you have got some movement already. I think that is really good. Keep going then :lol::lol: Well at least she isn't being pts because she has done 2 poos :thumb:

Last edited:
Lots more water then to soften and sure you will get more. 2 is better than none, and it does start off really slow but at least you have got some movement already. I think that is really good. Keep going then :lol::lol: Well at least she isn't being pts because she has done 2 poos :thumb:

It seems to of work i have gotten other 4 poos out of her:D there really gross and hair lol:lol:

Great news about the 'hairy poos'. When Twinkle had statis I could get her to eat dandelion leaves so she had loads as it was all she would eat but before giving them to her I got a bowl of water and poured it over the leaves to increase water intake.

Then when she started eating cabbage and cauliflower leaves and broccoli florets I did the same, she now gets wet veg daily.

its awful when they have this. I now have infacol in my pet cupboard, apparantely its a syringe full then repeat after 3 hours, or so someone said on here. I also have metacam and a syringe.

Keep us posted.

Thank you madcatwoman,

Am checking every hour to see if she has new poos and she does i feel like a poo watcher lol:D but the great new is she had water and took it from her bowel without me having to force her.. She started to eat hay now

Thank you madcatwoman,

Am checking every hour to see if she has new poos and she does i feel like a poo watcher lol:D but the great new is she had water and took it from her bowel without me having to force her.. She started to eat hay now

We all become poo experts when weve got bunnies. I recently took in a stray that was starving. His poos were like tiny pieces of angular shaped coal. I text my hubby when we got our first real proper golden poos.:oops: He wasn't impressed:lol:

So glad to hear things are going well. Ive changed mine on to less pellets and more sort of natural stuff. Last week I went round the field behind our house that's just been cut for hay and got my own hay that's currently drying. I really need to get out more lol:lol:

Back