• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grateful for any advice; hat else can we do??...

Pixie still isn't eating properly and is only eating pellets and very small bits of apple. this has been going on now for six weeks. she has had three dentals which were needed and a number of examanations and all tests come back negitave. Is there anything else we look for?? she is showing signs of wierd behavior as she moves hay from one side of her to the other and I saw her the other day eating a small piece of fur. she hasn't touched hay or grass for ages and now I'm so very worried. she is on 0.5ml of metacam once daily and 0.1ml of emeprid three times a day which are making no difference at all. My vet is also worried and is completely puzzled as to what could be wrong. she does try to eat veg, herbs, dandelion but just spits it all out again and she does come running over for food but just turns away. We've tried everything and even spraying food with apple juice to tempt her but no luck at all. she has really changed as she used to eat everything and was always the first one with her nose in the food. I just know there is something bothering her but we just can't find out what it could be. the only difference we do see is when the vet gives her three injections of; Baytrill, metacam and emeprid then she is eating normally by the time she gets home but when they wear off she's back to not eating.

She is very bright in herself and is pooing and weeing normally. She is also drinking fine too. I'd be grateful for any help or advice you can give me, I'm sor worried about her.

In my opinion , I think 0.5ml is too low of a dose of metacam - especially considering that she's willing to eat after a metacam injection . Sounds like she's in pain and that's why she's not eating. Might be worth asking your vet if you can try her on a higher dose for a few days and see if that helps ?

It'd also be worth asking if you can have metaclopromide to give orally (emephid is injectable metaclop) as that seems to help . Baytril wouldn't have taken effect so quickly , so I doubt it that that's helping her .

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'm asked the vet to call me so I'm really hoping he'll up her dose as we're not getting anywhere at the moment. fingers crossed the new dose painkiller works!

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I'm asked the vet to call me so I'm really hoping he'll up her dose as we're not getting anywhere at the moment. fingers crossed the new dose painkiller works!

Hopefully so. At least when she's on enough painkiller/metaclop, investigations might be easier. It must be very stressful not knowing what's going on :( Fingers crossed it's just a blip with her belly and that with painkillers to help her eat properly again, it'll settle down soon. Poor little fluffball :(

How much does she weigh also metacam is more effective when split into two doses since rabbits metabolic rate is quick. Is she OK about an hour or so after having the dose.

Doughnut weighs 1.1kg and she is on 0.4ml split into two doses but I can give her an extra 0.1ml if she is in pain. Best to speak to your vet and also ask about splitting the dose as by the time they are due the next one in 12 hours there isn't a lot left or none left in their system.

Vet didn't call me back so I've made an appointment with him tomorrow evening (why do vets do that, I'm at work and not always possible to make a personal call). She's still only eating pellets and I've tried taking them away but then she just doesn't eat anything! It's so hard watching her try to eat even a basil leaf as she moves it around so it's at the right angle then she will eat it but it takes a while. I have tried cutting everything up small for her but she just wont even eat that. Poor darling, she must be umcomfortabel somewhere. She's very bouncy in herself and is pooing and weeing just doesn't seem to be her old self. I'll keep you updated :wave:

So hope the vet can get this sorted for your little bun.Sounds similar to the problems i had with one of my buns but that turned out to be a dental which i know has been ruled out for your bun.Having said that it was only through an x ray that my buns problem was detected as all seemed well in his mouth under GA and investigation.

Good luck with a diagnosis and hope its easy to solve.

Last edited:
Back