• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re: three buns... UPDATE 12/7

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
I have currently got 2 pairs but Dude is in for blood tests 2mrw as I think his kidneys may be failing :(

I know I may be getting ahead of myself, but in anticipation of him not being here much longer, I'm already panicking about the bun he's currently bonded with.
She's quite a feisty German lop and is basically a bull in a china shop with no grace or delicacy about her whatsoever!! (And I love her for it!)

I really don't want to continue in the cycle of adopting a new bun as one leaves me, as ideally I want to get down to just one pair of buns, for finance and stresses sake.

However I really don't want to give Bella up for a new home as that's just not me. She's only about 3-4 though and may end up spending the rest of her years as a single outdoor bun, which I'd rather not do to her.
The only other option is to bond her into my other pair, Blake is a male and fairly chilled and protective of any wifebuns he's had. Hope is a small 3 legged timid bun who's only just coming out of her shell.

My gut feeling is that bonding Bella in wouldn't be fair on Blake and Hope, even if they were to accept her (which I doubt).

Any thoughts? (And vibes please that Dude isn't as ill as I think he is) :(

Last edited:
I think if you're apprehensive and knowing Bella's personality, perhaps doing a slow bond would work? Maybe introducing the pair to Bella over a barrier and seeing how she reacts etc and then exposing Bella for longer periods of time over a barrier so they get used to each other before you actually go for a proper bond? I did this with a very nervous Noisette and it worked a charm for me.

I think if you're apprehensive and knowing Bella's personality, perhaps doing a slow bond would work? Maybe introducing the pair to Bella over a barrier and seeing how she reacts etc and then exposing Bella for longer periods of time over a barrier so they get used to each other before you actually go for a proper bond? I did this with a very nervous Noisette and it worked a charm for me.

Thanks Janak, am relieved the first reply isn't a total "Nooooo, don't do it"!!

I'm dreading tomorrow for Dude, but just want to start preparing myself mentally :(

Thanks Janak, am relieved the first reply isn't a total "Nooooo, don't do it"!!

I'm dreading tomorrow for Dude, but just want to start preparing myself mentally :(

No problem :D I don't see a reason why you couldn't try to bond them, you will never know if you don't try it though. Hopefully fingers crossed you won't have to come to that and I am sending millions of vibes to Dudes :love: xxxxxxxxx

I think a trio would be worth a try. I hope tomorrow goes better than you expect. Sending lots of vibes for Dude xx

aw Nicky, i'm sorry to hear about Dude and hope the outcome is better than you expect.

i know what you mean about the constant cycle of bunnies and it is difficult to try and do the best for both your pets and yourself.
you know my situation and the trouble i had with my trio and to be honest it put me off doing it again. they live together now and most of the time it is settled but the girls still have the odd fall out and though it is just an odd chase and fur pulling it does upset me.

saying that i would certainly give it a try if i was in your situation rather than leave Bella alone or take on another bun.
are they still in a shed together with a partition down it? if so they already know each others smells, could you possibly mesh the centre so they can meet through the wire.

if the bond did fail would it be possible to have them living in the same shed with the mesh seperating them so Bella doesn't feel totally alone?

keep me updated on Dude and you know where i am if you need me. xx

The only time I've ever bonded & required a vet was with your buns:lol: so I understand your concerns. I would give it a shot with a trio & see where you stand then.

Vibes for Dude

The only time I've ever bonded & required a vet was with your buns:lol: so I understand your concerns. I would give it a shot with a trio & see where you stand then.

Vibes for Dude

Cheers Angie!! Haha!! Would your services be on offer?! ;)

aw Nicky, i'm sorry to hear about Dude and hope the outcome is better than you expect.

i know what you mean about the constant cycle of bunnies and it is difficult to try and do the best for both your pets and yourself.
you know my situation and the trouble i had with my trio and to be honest it put me off doing it again. they live together now and most of the time it is settled but the girls still have the odd fall out and though it is just an odd chase and fur pulling it does upset me.

saying that i would certainly give it a try if i was in your situation rather than leave Bella alone or take on another bun.
are they still in a shed together with a partition down it? if so they already know each others smells, could you possibly mesh the centre so they can meet through the wire.

if the bond did fail would it be possible to have them living in the same shed with the mesh seperating them so Bella doesn't feel totally alone?

keep me updated on Dude and you know where i am if you need me. xx

Thanks Jacqui :)
No they're in separate sheds and I wouldn't like to half the space which Blake and hope have, to squeeze Bella into the back with a partition again really.
I've got the vets at 7pm but may not get bloods back until tomorrow - I hate the waiting! :(

Mark thinks its fairer to Bella to re-home her if/when Dude goes, and he doesn't say that lightly, but its against everything in me to do that but maybe it would be fairer than a single bun (if trio didn't work.)

I don't know, just feeling really stressed and worried about Dude and the outcome all round.
x

Just wanted to update that Dude had bloods done to check organ function etc and urine to test for diabetes. Everything come back fine so just upped pellets and panacuring incase its worms. He seems like he may have put on a bit of weight but has a check up next week to see...

The bad news is that Blake decided he didn't want Dude having all my attention, and he's now lost 0.6kg too!! Very active, normal in himself, just very boney :(
He's been at vets tonight and is starting with his bloods on Mon.

Just wanted to update :-/

Back