• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herbie not eating - need vibes / advice please

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
My wee Herbie is refusing food, I have tried him with everything he likes and no joy. His tummy feels fine. He ate his brekkie this morning ok. Hollie is in grooming him like mad just now, she must know he is ill. He has done some poos earlier today for definite.

He is moulting loads just now, could be a fur blockage.

Should I try to feed him or not.....what about water??

Has he seen the vet? I'd be reluctant to feed him unless I knew there was no blockages anywhere along the way.

I think water is ok, as he needs to be hydrated, and if there is fur in his tum, it'll help it pass through.

Sending him lots of vibes x

Has he seen the vet? I'd be reluctant to feed him unless I knew there was no blockages anywhere along the way.

I think water is ok, as he needs to be hydrated, and if there is fur in his tum, it'll help it pass through.

Sending him lots of vibes x

No he hasn't seen the vet, I just tried him with his food at 8pm and that's when he wouldn't eat.

Most on here will say straight to the vets tonight.

However both Snowdrop and Mr B regularly refuse their food and we don't go to the vet. If it were either of mine then I would get them on the garden for a run around, offer lots of tempting foods, give them metacam and maxalon and then leave them till the morning. If they still hadn't touched anything I would ring the vets but usually they will have started on something.

With my two its their moult that triggers it and they usually sort themselves out in a day or two.

However you know your bunny best and if its out of character and you are worried then give the vets a call.

I will give him a couple of hours to see if I need to take him to the vets. It would be the out of hours vets no matter when I go anyways.
Will monitor him for a bit and decide.

Do you have any pain relief he can have at home if he has tummy ache?

Have you got an parsley? I often find mine will nibble this after a while.

Do you have any pain relief he can have at home if he has tummy ache?

Have you got an parsley? I often find mine will nibble this after a while.

Yip, have some Metacam, phoning vets to ask advice

Last edited:
I gave him some Metacam last night, then went down to Asda to get some Infacol......managed to get gripe water instead, I had read before that gripe water was better than Infacol. So I came home and gave him that. I was syringing him small amounts of water every so often too and rubbing his belly, although it never really felt bloated.

So about 12.30am he nibbled on some grass...I think he was just hacked off with me constantly pushing things in his face. He then ate some basil, mint, dandelion and more grass :):) I left him for about 30mins and then tried him with some protexin pro fibre pellets.....he ate them, I gave him some dried plantain and he scoffed that too. I then gave him some fibreplex and went to bed.

This morning there were some normal poos mixed in with a mucusy yukky looking poo. I gave them their rabbit royale and veg and he ate most of it. I have given him some more gripe water this morning. I am now in work and Chris will check on him when he leaves about 8pm, then I will get my sister to go in later on today and try him with some dried dandelion and plantain, which he would usually gannet up :)

I was trying to think if there was anything that spooked him and made him not eat, the only thing I could think of was that I had him and hollie in the living room cuddled on my knee, Herbie burrowed me as he always does when he wants back in the room, so I took him in, but I kept Hollie in with me.....that is probably the 1st time I have kept her in with me. She was in for an hour.....I dunno if he maybe didnt like me separating them for so long?

Glad Herbie is much better today.

Honey is terrible for going off her food but we find she'll often go for dandilion and bramble leaves.

Hope Herbie is ok today. :wave:

Spenser had a similar-sounding episode recently. Stopped eating in the evening, but got him nibbling so didn't need to use overnight vet. Took him in the morning for the usual injections etc, but to be honest by that time it probably wasn't necessary.

Back