• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly rabbit has cheyletiella and bonded partner is overgrooming him creating sores

rebeccaemms

Warren Scout
Hey all
My 10 year old has recurring cheyletiella...we're on regular vets trips and he's been treated a couple of times but due to his age and struggle to fight things off he does have a problem getting rid for good. His caring and younger partner is concerned and is grooming the area with the cheyletiella persistently to a point where there are scabby sores on his back that I'm worried about. The vet has said that we might need to think about separating them for a short time to let him heal but I'm concerned about splitting them at this stage in my elderly boys life as he really loves his partner - they truly are inseparable and since their bonding last year he has had a spring in his hop that hadn't been there for years - when he's having a good day she can get him binkying along with her and when his last partner died he pined for her for over a month - he's not used to being alone and I think he'd struggle to be separated from her. I wonder if there is any way I can discourage her from grooming his sore areas? Is there anything that smells or tastes bad that she will refrain from licking of him (but isn't harmful if she did decide to?) I really want to explore every avenue before I split them.
Thanks
Rebecca x

Hiya... some people on here use babygro type outfits after spaying etc... maybe that could help.?

good luck.. Hope he gets better for once and for all

fee xx

Back