• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you get ginger wildies....? UD p27 still there

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
I saw a bunny today, 6-8 weeks old roughly, whilst on my run, it was near an area where I regularly see wildies, but it was ginger, and by itself, about a metre away from me on the side of a road, I walked towards it and it ran off away from the road into a hedge, but I'm really worried for it, what if it's not a wildie...? :(

Last edited:
Hm, I would be thinking maybe a domestic x wildie? I would go back and double check that it isn't a domestic rabbit. Ginger is not generally a colour that would pop up without a domestic influence.

Never seen or heard of a ginger wildie....

I'd see if you can trap it if you can. Maybe a rescue could help? Especially as it is by a road...

Hm, I would be thinking maybe a domestic x wildie? I would go back and double check that it isn't a domestic rabbit. Ginger is not generally a colour that would pop up without a domestic influence.

Never seen or heard of a ginger wildie....

I'd see if you can trap it if you can. Maybe a rescue could help? Especially as it is by a road...

I might try to go back, the only problem is I don't have a car, and it's 2 miles away, so a long walk plus if I did catch it walking back 2 miles with a wriggly baby bunny is going to be a challenge!! Would a rescue actually help for a queried domestic rabbit that might be wildie or wildie-cross? I do think it was domestic, just because a wildie wouldn't have been a metre away from me?! Grr if I had a car I'd be straight back, even though it may have run off into the forest area by now.... :(

Did a search and this thread came up... rather irrelevant but in it Sky-O states that wildie crosses always look like wildies.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304254-Wild-rabbit-x-Domestic-rabbit

So I'm gonna say that this little bun is most likely pure domestic.

If you go, take a box with something soft in it, to bring the bun back in.

Ok, I'll have to go back, but not going to be able to get there for a while :/ if anyone else is in the Coventry area and happens to be going past the University of Warwick, I saw it on the round-a-bout on Gibbet Hill Road, the round-a-bout with a car park exit on one side and the road up to the cricket club on the other side. I'll try get a google maps picture just in case anyone happens to be near-by

Could you get someone to go with you?? You'll be more likely to catch it and could help prevent it running into the road :(

On the way there now, it's about a 30min walk, I'm not very hopeful but I might as well try, I'll let you know how it goes

No squished bunny on the road, that's good at least, but no sign of him anywhere else :( I'm not sure really how to go about looking tbh.... Any suggestions?

Just spoke to some local removal men and they says that a couple of fields over there's a whole field full of wild ginger rabbits :/ don't know what to think..... Can't see or hear it anywhere :/

Do their coats get lighter in the summer? If it is a wild rabbit then maybe you just startled it when you were running, then when you stopped to look it ran away

I just did a google search and found some other people who have seen ginger wild rabbits. The site I found was a 'country sports' forum so hunters and ferreters. There was a photograph of a wild rabbit but I wouldn't l like to share it here. It was ginger though and looked like a wildie.

I just did a google search and found some other people who have seen ginger wild rabbits. The site I found was a 'country sports' forum so hunters and ferreters. There was a photograph of a wild rabbit but I wouldn't l like to share it here. It was ginger though and looked like a wildie.

That's a bit reassuring, the guy I spoke to was adamant he'd seen properly ginger rabbits in a local field so it probably was from there and had got lost, I hope it makes it way back! Maybe that's where it had gone to! I've come back home now as he/she was nowhere to be seen :( could've still been there though as there was lots of overgrown bushes

theres black ones and odd one with lop ears near a friend of mines. all wild- all presumably descended from some domestic that got loose.

Could it be ginger domestics been released and bred so there's lots of them now? We have a 'colony' of black wild rabbits at the beach here.

Back