• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baldness

Embo

Young Bun
Hi all,
Hoping someone can prevent me having a nervous breakdown until the vet opens Monday. I just brushed my Tiffany as she does have a lot of fur and sometimes needs a helping hand plus I'm paranoid about her getting fly strike. Her fur just kept coming and coming, I have a carrier bag full. She now has 2 separate large bald patches on her rump/rear end. She seems ok in herself at the minute which is more that can be said for me!!!
I'm not an expert on rabbits, just a loving owner. She was 1 in jan and I've never had anything like this happen before. Do I need to rush her to an emergency vet? I will do whatever is needed as long as she's happy. Will she be in pain? Should I bring her indoors? Is she going to die? All her injections are up to date and when she had her booster in April the vet said she was in beautiful condition. I use dust free straw.
Sorry for the ramble, I'm panicking.

Your bun isn't going to die so try not to panic.

I obviously can't say for definite but my Woody recently went through something similar. He is experiencing the most crazy moult ever - just falling out in lumps - I often pull away the loose ones.

A couple of weeks ago he developed a bald patch on his head about 10p size. I took him to the vets where they checked for fungus and mites but he was clear - just a heavy moult.

It grew back in two weeks.

Does your rabbit have any dry/flaky skin? Can you upload a pic?

Thank you so much for replying.
Her skin looks nice and pink, no flakes or soreness so far. It also doesn't seem to be irritating her either. She was the first one at the food bowl tonight! So that's a good sign. Sorry for panicking, you just feel so helpless. I have tried to take a photo, but after her grooming session and subsequent panic she is avoiding me at all costs :roll:
I will keep a close eye on her and get her to the vet Monday. Once again, thanks for the reassurance x

i did it to cecile bunbun last year - the hair just came out and none of my other buns have ever gone bald... so it took me by surprise. it grew back in a few weeks, no long-term damage.

Thank you so much for replying.
Her skin looks nice and pink, no flakes or soreness so far. It also doesn't seem to be irritating her either. She was the first one at the food bowl tonight! So that's a good sign. Sorry for panicking, you just feel so helpless. I have tried to take a photo, but after her grooming session and subsequent panic she is avoiding me at all costs :roll:
I will keep a close eye on her and get her to the vet Monday. Once again, thanks for the reassurance x

Well I think it sounds like she will be fine - I also panic but try not to because its likely just a heavy/crazy moult :wave:

Back