• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice about nail clipping with VERY scared bunny.

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
I could really do with some advice about clipping nails. Some of you might know that I have a single bunny, Nahla, who is afraid of virtually everything. (Including other rabbits, I'm attempting for the final time to bond her in the next few weeks!:shock:)

Her nails have gotten quite long and they really need clipping, but she gets so stressed that I honestly feel like she could drop dead from fear. Last time I took her to the vets, but the car trip stressed her out even more and the vet ended up having to trance her to keep her still :cry: it really upset me because I hate trancing. I don't want to take her to the vet for nail clipping again as she was even more scared after the car ride, but I just don't know what to do to make it easier for her.

Has anyone got any advice?

Poor Nahla. Is there anyone bunny savvy nearby who could come and help? Perhaps a fellow RU member.

Pity I don't live near to you as I would happily come and help you clip her claws. I'm off to another RU member's house this morning to clip her four bunnies' claws.

I hope you manage to sort something out.:thumb:

Poor Nahla. Is there anyone bunny savvy nearby who could come and help? Perhaps a fellow RU member.

Pity I don't live near to you as I would happily come and help you clip her claws. I'm off to another RU member's house this morning to clip her four bunnies' claws.

I hope you manage to sort something out.:thumb:

You're so lovely :)

I hope I get something sorted too, it's horrible seeing her stressed out!

light or dark nails?
either way, you hold the bun comfortably, affect a confident manner, and press gently near the end of the nail with the clippers. if it hurts, you're too far down and the bun will move her foot away. if you only take a tiny bit at a time, you rarely reach that point of causing pain, so pressing isn't a cruelty, just a precaution against hurting the bun even more.
if she's scared of everything, she'll be much better with you doing it.
eta: she's not a conti, is she? my system works well on my mini lops but what i'd do with a giant, i don't know!

light or dark nails?
either way, you hold the bun comfortably, affect a confident manner, and press gently near the end of the nail with the clippers. if it hurts, you're too far down and the bun will move her foot away. if you only take a tiny bit at a time, you rarely reach that point of causing pain, so pressing isn't a cruelty, just a precaution against hurting the bun even more.
if she's scared of everything, she'll be much better with you doing it.
eta: she's not a conti, is she? my system works well on my mini lops but what i'd do with a giant, i don't know!

Dark nails, and she's a lionhead so about the same as a mini lop. I can see what I'm doing because I've had bunnies with dark nails before, but she is genuinely terrified of physical contact and won't even let you hold her really, no matter how confident you are/try and appear to be. I wish I could adequately describe what she does when you try and hold her to clip her nails, she just goes into a blind panic and freaks out.

poor little thing. i've seen bunny sedatives in p@h - i've never used one - might that be a possibility?

Only thing I can think of is get a towel and leave it in her hutch/cage/pen so she's familiar with it and it smells of her, and try wrap it around her (maybe even cover here eyes with it) as securely as you can to stop her hurting herself and hopefully the familliar smell will calm her a little bit, and try find a way to get her paws out. You could even go as far as cutting out four holes and sticking her legs through and covering up her body and head with the rest of the towel but to be honest I've no idea how well it'd work but if she really gets that stressed and her claws are causing her pain its worth a try

Back