• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Guinea pigs in same room?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hello

I have 2 rabbits who live outside, and I'm about to acquire 2 guinea pigs, who will live indoors.

When my rabbits are unwell, not eating etc, I bring them indoors, into the same area where the guinea pigs will be living. So, in future, when the rabbits are unwell, the guinea pigs will be in the room.

I've heard about the disease rabbits can transmit to guinea pigs. Would the guinea pigs be at risk if rabbits are in the same room as them, but in separate cages?

I have 5 'special needs' house bunnies, and 2 rescue guinea pigs. My piggy's don't live with the buns as such, but they do come out for a couple of hours runabout in the evening, and the bunnies tend to play and run about with them a bit as well. Sometimes they are really funny, and we have a big corner settee in the middle of the room, because 2 of my buns are blind, but they do still run about quite a lot as well, and it is best to keep the floor space clear so that they don't run into things. Sometimes the piggy's and whichever bunnies are about gallop like ponies and sound like ponies as well, just round and round the settee. Anyway I have had my set up like this for years, but no bunnies or piggy's have infected each other with whatever it is they are meant too.

The bacteria, Bordetella bronchiseptica,is the most common cause of respiratory disease in guinea pigs. Rabbits, as well as cats and dogs, can carry this bacteria which can be passed to guinea pigs and cause disease. Therefore, due to the risk of infection, guinea pigs should not be housed with rabbits, and should be kept away from dogs and cats.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/company/rabbitsandguineapigs

I heard it was one of the reasons why rabbits and guinea pigs shouldn't be housed together.

The bacteria, Bordetella bronchiseptica,is the most common cause of respiratory disease in guinea pigs. Rabbits, as well as cats and dogs, can carry this bacteria which can be passed to guinea pigs and cause disease. Therefore, due to the risk of infection, guinea pigs should not be housed with rabbits, and should be kept away from dogs and cats.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/company/rabbitsandguineapigs

I heard it was one of the reasons why rabbits and guinea pigs shouldn't be housed together.

Oh right. Well at least now I know, thank you. They aren't housed together, but the piggy's do have a couple of hours timeout in the evening, and sometimes come into contact with the buns then, if the bunnies want to run about and play with them, but that it is all.

mine are in the same area (downstairs being one big room) so buns one side, piggies the other. bordatella is what people talk about and why they shouldn't be kept together, but it can also be passed the other way, and from dogs and cats too. rabbits just seem to get a bad rep for it for some reason. vet explained it to me once. :wave:

Back