• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would love to hear from anyone who has cared for disabled bun. FAO Hugo's There

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
Julie has pretty much loss the function of her back legs. She has had arthritis for a little while now in her hips. She was walking on her knees then able to somewhat drag herself but is weak now and isn't mobile at all. We were checking into a wheel cart for her but it isn't an option as she doesn't have the strength in her upper body or front feet.
Yesterday she was still trying to drag herself and I was able to assist her walking with my hand under her belly but that isn't happening anymore. She seems more content today. Yesterday she was frustrated and kept trying and trying to move to other places.
I have her on towels and blankets on pads and move her frequently to her favorite spots all day and night in the order that she would normally go. I have her surrounded by hay,pellets,hay cupcakes and oats that she can easily eat and she is continuously munching. I have a shallow bowl of water plus hold it for her to drink frequently and hold bowls up to her of critical care which she gobbles. She still gets extremely excited for her greens and loves me to sit with her and love on her. She also follows me around with her head so I try to keep her where she can see me. I am home all day and give complete nursing care.
The vet had warned me that this would probably happen but I really thought that we'd have more time. It was a progression leading to this but it was a fast progression. She is on pain meds and an antibiotic injeciont for her tooth root problems. The vet says that there isn't anything else that can be done for her besides what we are doing. It is a degenerative spine problem and just old age. Her muscles are wasting away. She is very thin despite having a pretty good appetite. She is constantly nibbling on her hay.
She is surprising in very good spirits and very alert and even attempts to play with her toys while lying down. Her vet said as long as she remains happy and if I can give her the care and am able to keep her clean that it is best for her at this time to continue on.

This was yesterday.
b

Taken a minute ago.

Last edited:
My 'special needs' bunny Roger had a stroke, and was completely paralysed on his right side, but we had 4 fantastic years together after his stroke before loosing him to a brain tumour last September. There is a company in the UK that makes carts mainly for dogs, but has done for a couple of rabbits as well. I know you don't want a cart and I didn't have one for Roger but I did get a really good sling type thing from them, and I used to do his physio with him twice a day using that. I really think it is a good idea to keep a little bit of mobility, as some movement is better for them than none, and I am sure I had another 4yrs with Roger, because I would still help him about in the garden to nibble on the grass, and try and keep his left side as strong as possible, whereas you would be wanting to keep Julie's front end strong. It would help her heart a lot as well. Roger developed a bad respiratory infection which turned to pneumonia, but because I had still kept him moving, he was able to make a full recovery from it. It all adds to her quality of life, and all the time she has some activity and interesting things going on, she will still remain happy and interested in things. I also took Roger out an awful lot more with me, shopping, social events that kind of thing, anything to keep his days full and busy for him, as he was always a very busy bunny.

She is such a beautiful bunny and I would certainly continue how you are doing, and just try to add more activities if you like into her day, even if it is just a change of scenery. I will try to find previous orders etc, but I did also buy various jumpers, t-shirts from a company called The Dog Clothing Company, and Roger would have items that would fit a small dog. I didn't buy these things because I wanted to dress him up, but to keep him warm, because when they have lost their mobility they are not able to keep warm moving about, and sometimes his little footsies would get sore, but I found fantastic little socks from the same place for him, that were just perfect, and stayed on a treat. I'd tried all the baby sock, bootee things, but to be honest, as soon as he moved they would just fall off. Roger had lots of cushions, rolled up towels, soft fleecy blankets that kind of thing that he needed to be propped up against, and I don't think this would be applicable for Julie, but if I ever had to leave him for any length of time, I needed to make sure he was supported from both sides, and couldn't tip over and then be stuck until I came back.

Awes...poor Julie.:(

I'm useless apart from being able to give vibes, but it might be worth pm-ing Hugo's There as she will have seen this before.

Millions of vibes.

Xx

I actually bought for Roger, a single duvet and folded it in half with a Peter Rabbit duvet cover on it, as he would drag himself about more if he had a nice big soft area, and maybe this might be an idea for Julie, and allow her to play a little more in her own new way. Please, please, please treasure every moment, day you have with Julie, as I am sure you will do, and don't feel sad. We are actually the very, very lucky ones, that get to care for our very special bunnies like this, and the opportunity to form the kind of bond that others can only dream of. There is something so very special at having an animal as delicate and vulnerable as a bunny trust you, when they are at their most vulnerable, and it is indeed a great privilege I believe to be given this opportunity.

I had Inca who had severe arthritis and a curved spine, she was born deformed and had no tail. She had her back leg twisted in under her and struggled with her balance. She did cope well with daily Metacam and monthly Acupuncture. She developed an abscess on her front foot that basically limited her getting about. She managed to get about ok when she had her front feet to use, but when she got the abscess she found it hard as she had a sore front paw and then a knackered back end too.

Like Julie, she was 100% there mind wise, keen for food and alert....craving attention etc. But her wee body was just broken, she was not managing to get about and she struggled. Like you, I would move her from place to place, on my knee for a wee cuddle etc. Her abscess just was not getting any better. I made the tough decision that she was not going to manage to fight the abscess and that she couldn't live struggling to get about.

It was so tough letting Inca go, she was munching hay in her wee donut just before I took her to the vets. I honestly don't know if I made the right decision....and I will be honest, I am now sitting here crying even typing this. I did what I thought was right at the time but I kept thinking should I have waited longer. But then I don't know if I would just have been being selfish cos Inca was just sitting there in the one position at times, struggling when she wanted to move.

Ultimately you will have to make the decision what is best for Julie, you know her best, it is the toughest thing you will ever have to do.

Hi

I can't advise but have to say that you are one of those very, very special bunny Mums along with those that have replied.

Whatever you decide will obviously be in the best interest of Julie and you will know instinctively what she needs.

She is a very beautiful bun coping in the best way she can with the Mum of her dreams xxxxxxx :love:

I had Inca who had severe arthritis and a curved spine, she was born deformed and had no tail. She had her back leg twisted in under her and struggled with her balance. She did cope well with daily Metacam and monthly Acupuncture. She developed an abscess on her front foot that basically limited her getting about. She managed to get about ok when she had her front feet to use, but when she got the abscess she found it hard as she had a sore front paw and then a knackered back end too.

Like Julie, she was 100% there mind wise, keen for food and alert....craving attention etc. But her wee body was just broken, she was not managing to get about and she struggled. Like you, I would move her from place to place, on my knee for a wee cuddle etc. Her abscess just was not getting any better. I made the tough decision that she was not going to manage to fight the abscess and that she couldn't live struggling to get about.

It was so tough letting Inca go, she was munching hay in her wee donut just before I took her to the vets. I honestly don't know if I made the right decision....and I will be honest, I am now sitting here crying even typing this. I did what I thought was right at the time but I kept thinking should I have waited longer. But then I don't know if I would just have been being selfish cos Inca was just sitting there in the one position at times, struggling when she wanted to move.

Ultimately you will have to make the decision what is best for Julie, you know her best, it is the toughest thing you will ever have to do.

You did absolutely the right thing, as did I, when I made the decision based on my vets advice, that Roger was no longer coping and was starting to struggle. He also was still eating well and enjoying his cuddles, and purring all the time whilst in my arms, but as my vet said, ' wouldn't it be better for him to go out on a purr' as oppose to wait until he was actually suffering, and had no pleasure in his life, and then let him go. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but now I can see that Simon was right, and I am now able to find comfort in the knowledge that Roger really did 'go out on a purr' and how much worse I would feel, knowing that Roger's last days were spent suffering. It would be exactly the same for you as well and so yes you definitely did do the right thing.

From reading this post and other ones I can tell how much you loved Inca. She sounds like a very special rabbit and that you were the best bunny mummy to her. I know that you made the best choice for her and was only thinking of her and not you. I think that it is normal to question the choice after but at the time you knew it was right.
I really appreciate you telling me about her.

Roger Rabbit, thank you for sharing Roger's story also and for the information and advice. Rogger was one lucky bunny to have you.
As far as taking Julie places though it would work with any other rabbit that I have had in the past but not Julie. She hates to travel and stresses really bad. She doesn't really like being picked up either. I have to be quick but she use to crawl onto my lap so I do put her on the couch with me and we snuggle. I am struggling about the cart. I really want one for her but go back and forth if she would be able to use it.
I just washed her up and was putting up on a towel in front of one of her hay boxes/litter boxes. I still had my hands under her belly and she took off taking full advantage of my assistance to get into that hay and lay there. I could tell where she was going and she was extremely eager and trying to go with just assistance from me but it really was a real struggle. Still good for her to be moving about anyway that she can but made me really think that she would love wheels but that it would have to be powered somehow other than by just her. Any idea????
I will check into a sling and see what alternative wheel carts are out there if any. I looked at one on a website but there was a test to see if it would work with the rabbit and it will not with Julie.
I will also check out some kind of sling. I am in the States though. It is very hot here and although not hot in the house for us Julie seems hot so she has frozen water bottles at the moment. I don't put them up against her just in case but she scoots close to them or away on her own.

Dizzyg,thank you. I was hoping that Hugo's There saw this. I know that she is so busy with all her rabbits so didn't want to really bither her.

Rabcat you are so sweet.

((((((((((((((((((Julie and bunnytoes)))))))))))))))))))))))
I agree, do get in touch with Liz (Hugo's There) I'm sure she wouldn't mind a brief PM. :)
Hopefully she'll see this thread. But her Bridge bunny, Trevor, had no use of the back legs when she came to her and she made all sorts of neat slings and wheels and such to help her get around. Plus things like water therapy and acupuncture I think got her some use of her hindquarters back if I remember right. (Trevor passed last December, not due to the paralysis.)
You can always amend your thread title with an 'FAO' if you'd like also. :) That will help a particular member find your thread to view.

You are so dedicated to Julie. :love: Thinking of you both. xxxx

Aww poor Julie :( She looks very bright in the photos though which is a good sign. Rabbits can be so resilient in the face of adversity.

Mona in my signature lived to be 11 but she suffered a stroke 5 months before she died. She lost the use of her back legs completely and was also blind in one eye due to progressive glaucoma. We also looked at a cart but it wasn't viable so we created a soft area for her which consisted of fleeces and vet bed and she became in indoor bunny after 10 years of living outdoors. Living outdoors she got snares of hay twisted around her back legs so eventually we started to cut the hay up and feed it from a bowl. Also because she could not move around too much Mona developed sludge in her bladder. Rabbits who remain fairly immobile seem to be prone to this so we stopped feeding things that were high in calcium like readigrass and alfalfa hay. Timothy hay was lower in calcium and she thrived on that instead. She loved sunning herself and when the weather was hot I would take her outside on a pillow so she could sun herself some more. I think the vitamin D must have been beneficial to her old bones. Comfort was always a key factor and she had a variety of pillows. The best one was a neck pillow on which she was able to rest and remain in an upright position without too much strain on the upper body. I also bought a couple of flattish cat/dog beds which meant Mona could drag herself onto them as and when she decided. She was never left alone either, she was always in the main room with the family by day but in my room by night so I could get up and tend to her. I had quit my job a little after her stroke so was able to give her my full attention and lots of cuddles :love:

Mona had a lot of spirit for one so ill and she pulled herself around a fair bit. She needed regular bathing too because despite being litter trained she could of course no longer manage to go to the loo properly. I like what you have done with Julie's hay box, I did the same with Mona's litter tray but it was too much effort for her to do more than a pee. We would express her bladder for her as well and she was on various types of medication. All very undignified but she never let it get her down. Mona was well loved and thrived upon attention. She even made friends with our very fussy house rabbit Orla who does not tolerate other rabbits but for Mona she made an exception. Mona received round the clock care and we tried to spoil her as much as possible with lots of toys and stimulating experiences in a variety of environments.

Mona had a feisty spirit and for a long time seemed very happy. She was enthusiastic about food and toys and social interaction and she licked us all incessantly which was lovely. She had so much lust for life and love and even though my own grandmother said it was cruel to keep her alive I felt we did the right thing. Sadly Mona had a second and possibly third stroke in May after which she became very weak and lethargic, she was literally fading away. The light went out of her eyes and she lost interest in food. It all happened very quickly and I knew then the time was coming. The vet corroborated this and we let her go peacefully.

I have a lot of tips and experience now regarding splay legged bunnies, Mona was a wonderful teacher and I hope one day I can use the experience to help more bunnies with similar health problems.

It may well be that Julie will need some help when the end comes but you will know when that time is and I am sure you will have the strength to make that decision and help Julie to get there if that is what happens.

One thing I have found is that it is nice for bunny to go out on a high note and if you know the end is coming you can treat them with a little bit of naughty chocolate. Chocolate biscuits seem to be most appreciated and there is no need to worry about ill effects of course. But I would only advise this if you know a rabbit is going to be pts very soon. I feel its just nice to give them something positive before the end.

I hope you don't mind such a long post and if I can help with extra advice or by posting photos of Mona's set up and the things she found useful let me know. I have a soft spot for all splay bunnies, have had since Trevor who I had the privilege of sponsoring and then of course looking after Mona. Sending vibes to your beautiful girl xxx

So sorry to hear Julie's arthritis has worsened.

I was thinking that maybe a cart might still work for her, but modified to also support her front end. This way most of her body weight will be supported by the cart, with her front paws pulling her around. If she's not very strong in her front end, she may need your help, pushing her around, but it may give her a little bit of mobility and some exercise for her legs. So I don't know if any of these companies has a cart like this, but if they construct their own, maybe they could custom build one for you.

((((((((((((((((((Julie and bunnytoes)))))))))))))))))))))))
I agree, do get in touch with Liz (Hugo's There) I'm sure she wouldn't mind a brief PM. :)
Hopefully she'll see this thread. But her Bridge bunny, Trevor, had no use of the back legs when she came to her and she made all sorts of neat slings and wheels and such to help her get around. Plus things like water therapy and acupuncture I think got her some use of her hindquarters back if I remember right. (Trevor passed last December, not due to the paralysis.)
You can always amend your thread title with an 'FAO' if you'd like also. :) That will help a particular member find your thread to view.

You are so dedicated to Julie. :love: Thinking of you both. xxxx

Thank you. I amended the title.

Aww poor Julie :( She looks very bright in the photos though which is a good sign. Rabbits can be so resilient in the face of adversity.

Mona in my signature lived to be 11 but she suffered a stroke 5 months before she died. She lost the use of her back legs completely and was also blind in one eye due to progressive glaucoma. We also looked at a cart but it wasn't viable so we created a soft area for her which consisted of fleeces and vet bed and she became in indoor bunny after 10 years of living outdoors. Living outdoors she got snares of hay twisted around her back legs so eventually we started to cut the hay up and feed it from a bowl. Also because she could not move around too much Mona developed sludge in her bladder. Rabbits who remain fairly immobile seem to be prone to this so we stopped feeding things that were high in calcium like readigrass and alfalfa hay. Timothy hay was lower in calcium and she thrived on that instead. She loved sunning herself and when the weather was hot I would take her outside on a pillow so she could sun herself some more. I think the vitamin D must have been beneficial to her old bones. Comfort was always a key factor and she had a variety of pillows. The best one was a neck pillow on which she was able to rest and remain in an upright position without too much strain on the upper body. I also bought a couple of flattish cat/dog beds which meant Mona could drag herself onto them as and when she decided. She was never left alone either, she was always in the main room with the family by day but in my room by night so I could get up and tend to her. I had quit my job a little after her stroke so was able to give her my full attention and lots of cuddles :love:

Mona had a lot of spirit for one so ill and she pulled herself around a fair bit. She needed regular bathing too because despite being litter trained she could of course no longer manage to go to the loo properly. I like what you have done with Julie's hay box, I did the same with Mona's litter tray but it was too much effort for her to do more than a pee. We would express her bladder for her as well and she was on various types of medication. All very undignified but she never let it get her down. Mona was well loved and thrived upon attention. She even made friends with our very fussy house rabbit Orla who does not tolerate other rabbits but for Mona she made an exception. Mona received round the clock care and we tried to spoil her as much as possible with lots of toys and stimulating experiences in a variety of environments.

Mona had a feisty spirit and for a long time seemed very happy. She was enthusiastic about food and toys and social interaction and she licked us all incessantly which was lovely. She had so much lust for life and love and even though my own grandmother said it was cruel to keep her alive I felt we did the right thing. Sadly Mona had a second and possibly third stroke in May after which she became very weak and lethargic, she was literally fading away. The light went out of her eyes and she lost interest in food. It all happened very quickly and I knew then the time was coming. The vet corroborated this and we let her go peacefully.

I have a lot of tips and experience now regarding splay legged bunnies, Mona was a wonderful teacher and I hope one day I can use the experience to help more bunnies with similar health problems.

It may well be that Julie will need some help when the end comes but you will know when that time is and I am sure you will have the strength to make that decision and help Julie to get there if that is what happens.

One thing I have found is that it is nice for bunny to go out on a high note and if you know the end is coming you can treat them with a little bit of naughty chocolate. Chocolate biscuits seem to be most appreciated and there is no need to worry about ill effects of course. But I would only advise this if you know a rabbit is going to be pts very soon. I feel its just nice to give them something positive before the end.

I hope you don't mind such a long post and if I can help with extra advice or by posting photos of Mona's set up and the things she found useful let me know. I have a soft spot for all splay bunnies, have had since Trevor who I had the privilege of sponsoring and then of course looking after Mona. Sending vibes to your beautiful girl xxx

Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of this. We are fortunate that I am not working and the OH works from home so someone can always be with her. This is all very useful information. Julie is trying to lie mostly on her left side. The vet said to use rolled towels to change her position but Julie keeps moving and ends up tipped in a head lower position. I need help with propping her and making it so she can get to her water dish alone. I am having to help her drink but am afraid that she might be thirst. Higher/deeper bowls she can't reach into and the shallow one that I am now using she rest her head in it while drinking. I am so afraid that she is going to get water up her nose. I have put my hand under her chin for support. She will drink water from the syringe but mostly only after medication. She does not drink from a water bottle nor does she have a cage.
I would love to see pictures of Mona and her set up. I also could use some enrichment ideas. Thank you very much in advance for your help. I want to give her the best possible life.

Back