• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wish me luck - off to vets.....

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
with my neighbours bunny.. They went on their holidays yesterday and asked me to check and feed him etc.....

They had sorted him for yeterday and today my son and i went round full of the joys of spring to feed him, I am devastated, he is unsteady on his feet, head tilted, eye bulging and he hasnt touched any food or water, he also couldnt get up his ramp,,...... I tried to tempt him with dandelions and other hay.. but to no avail..... He is an unwell boy....

They have also said that if he's seriously ill, I should have him PTS... What a decision.. I feel sick...

Please folks, wish him luck and give lots of get well vibes... Could this be EC?
Fee xxxx

Last edited:
Omg poor bun and poor you. I've no experience with headtilt/EC. Im looking after my friends bun next week and Ive already spoken to her about what I've to do in case of illness/death, she says he's always a well bun but it would be just my luck... Sending hugs and vibes xx

Sending huge vibes and hugs to you, what a horrible decision for you but im sure you will do whats best for the rabbit xxx

Thanks... She said to me just yesterday that he was all go and chipper and was a happy chappy, i just cant believe it and I am sad to say, it didnt even cross my mind to discuss illness! I had to text her just there...and send her a video...... he has only ever been to vets for neutering and vaccinations!!

We are hopeful.....

Waiting.....

fee xx

Oh no what a horrible situation to be in :(
Hope the vets can help the poor boy.
I'm sure you will do what's best x

Just in.. Suspected EC and a possible abcess, ( outside chance) although his teeth appeared Okay from what vet could see??

She has given him fluids, abx and he is on Panacur now. We have to go back in the morning with him. Just to check up to see if there is an improvement.

When we took him home, he was unsteady but a wee bit more alert, attempting to walk and showing more of an interest in food. Gave him spring greens and dandelion....

Have had to leave him, feel wretched but cant bring him home because of my 2. I have stripped and disinfected myself, feel dreadful as i dont want to infect my 2.

Thanks... Small steps but hopefully there will be a little improvement by morning.

Fee x

If they suspect EC then he really should be on Metacam too, unless the vet gave him a steroid injection? I have nursed two bunnies through EC (one with severe head tilt) and it can be a long drawn out illness, but bunnies can recover well from it. Did the vet check his ears as a common cause of head tilt is an inner ear infection.

she did certainly check inside his ears!, but didnt make any comment Kermit.

On receipt it says:
Panacur
Depocillin
fluids s/c

Doesnt make any mention to metacam... I had phoned his owner to speak directly to vet which she did but No, i didnt think to make extra sure that would be included.... ...

Uh oh, :shock:....

I have missed a trick here, do you think he will be Ok?

I'd get some tomorrow for him if you can.

I guess the depocillin will be for antibiotic cover in case it's an ear infection?

I'm going through a severe headtilt with one of my buns at the moment. Just to warn you it can get so much worse, very quickly before it gets better. It doesn't mean the bunny won't get better, it's just the nature of the nasty disease.

Sending lots of vibes x

Checked on him this morning. He was moving better but hadnt eaten or drunk and the vet was really concerned as the wee mite hadnt managed to eat his caecals either.

My friend has discussed with vet to keep him in, manage his syringe feeding/pain relief and see if he improves with 24/7 care. The responsibility of his recovery has been given to vets . I will be kept advised of whats happening..

Vibes for the wee chap... Come on gorgeous... Get well soon ..... Xxxxxxxxx

Oh dear Fee this is surely everyone's worst nightmare you are doing the best you can for the little one.
Lots of vibes from us xxxxx

Hiya folks!! No i've heard nothing yet. Reckon they'll let me know tomorrow. Failing that I am at vets on Monday with Smudge to double check his ears so I can ask then..

He's in the best hands .. The vibes are appreciated. Although he's not mine, having seen a bunny with EC has been devastating and I hope never to see it with my 2..

Keep you all updated as I have news.
Fee xx

I had meant to send vibes at the beginning of this thread. I'm glad to hear that bun has gotten treatment so quickly and I hope he will heal well. (((((((((Vibes))))))))))) xxxx
(((((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))) for you! There's no worse feeling than to be looking after someone else's pet and they take ill. :( Well done for taking such quick action and I hope you and yours are doing okay too. :)

:thumb:Thanks MimzMum....

Its been a major operation to be honest. I have been terrified of spreading it to my 2.

We saw to my 2 first, changed clothes to old skanky ones and shoes went round to him, did our bits and bobs, camehome, very much avoiding our bunnies, stripped off, clothes in the wash, had a shower and changed into our other clothes.. Bit of a faffle but so worth it to avoid cross contamination...

Its been worrying... I just hope he is picking up.. Will keep you all posted

Back