• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I trim my bunnies fur?

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
I know they're dutchies but their fur is actually getting pretty long, at least 4cm in places, I'm starting to think there's a bit of a long haired breed in the mix, it started growing a lot around winter but I just thought that was their 'first' winter coat... apparently not. :oops:

I'm grooming them everyday and now that they're malting their fur is matting in and going everywhere :? I love them to pieces but I got a short-haired breed for a reason, as I already have a long haired dog and he's a pain at times :roll:

I heard that their skin is really sensitive and elastic and whatnot, but I was thinking of using a fine tooth comb and then cutting them bit off, so there's a barrier between the scissors and their skin. If that makes sense. Like when you get a trim at the hairdressers. We're having a "salon night" here at bunny central; baths, gland cleans and nail trims all round, so I was thinking of trimming them up too. They look awfully hot out there, even in the shade, and with the frozen bottles and icepacks etc, I keep bringing them in to lounge about on the kitchen tiles until they cool down a smidge. :(

Any suggestions, and do any of you have experience in trimming buns? :)

Merci

P.s. I'm writing this from the floor in the living room as the bunnies have taken over the sofa :roll:

No, please don't trim your rabbits fur. It will be a suitable thickness for the temperature and area they are living in.

Unless there is a genuine health reason for it, it would be wrong.

I'm glad to hear you know your place is on the floor while the bunnies have the sofa. ;):lol::lol:

Their fur probably seems longer because they're moulting and a lot of it will be working it's way loose at the moment. Alfie's fur on his bottom half looks really fluffy at the moment as his fur is gradually moulting downwards. :lol:

Personally, I'd concentrate on trying to help them with the moult with regular brushing as you're doing already - sometimes a damp hand or a brush over with a rubber comb or rubber gloves will get off more loose fur than a brush can or, if it's really tufty, you can also very gently pluck any loose bits. :D

Back