• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

not eating hay after spay?

Gizmos mom

Young Bun
Hi
So I posted another post on what to expect with getting Phoebe spayed. So she has eaten 2 pieces of romain, half a quarter cup of pellets and she is drinking lots of water. She's not moving around this morning which I find strange as she's a super super active bunny. Is this normal for after a spay? I'm getting worried :(

Is she on any pain relief, metacam, loxicom etc post-spay?

She should have it for ~1 week post-spay as its excrutiatingly painful - consider it to be the same as a woman having a hysterectomy.

Hi
So I posted another post on what to expect with getting Phoebe spayed. So she has eaten 2 pieces of romain, half a quarter cup of pellets and she is drinking lots of water. She's not moving around this morning which I find strange as she's a super super active bunny. Is this normal for after a spay? I'm getting worried :(

It's quite a big Op for the girls like Graham said it's the same as a woman having a hysterectomy and she will be very sore did your vet give you any pain relief for her?

They really need to rest after being spayed to give them chance to heal. So a couple of days hutch/cage rest will do her no harm.

They gave me three syringes with a dose of metacam in each of them. So they said she gets one dose a day. So three days worth. And then she's on chlorapalm for 7 days 2 times a day.
I was just hand feeding her some veggies and she made 2 poop balls! :-D yay I was waiting for that! Lol and she's had a couple good sized pees and she's drinking lots.

She's going to stay in a dog grate that I have for a few days so that she can run around too much lol

She's still not acting like herself though. Normally se gobbles down veggies but she seems like she's chewing slowly. :-/

They gave me three syringes with a dose of metacam in each of them. So they said she gets one dose a day. So three days worth. And then she's on chlorapalm for 7 days 2 times a day.
I was just hand feeding her some veggies and she made 2 poop balls! :-D yay I was waiting for that! Lol and she's had a couple good sized pees and she's drinking lots.

She's going to stay in a dog grate that I have for a few days so that she can run around too much lol

She's still not acting like herself though. Normally se gobbles down veggies but she seems like she's chewing slowly. :-/

What metacam is it do you know (dog or cat), and what is the dose in ml?

I doubt, personally, that is anywhere near enough post-spay :(

I don't know what kind of metacam it is as they didn't give me a bottle or anything that told me what it was. This vet it open 7 days a week from 8 to 8 so I can get more anytime so I will closely monitor her.

Back