• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Please/ Ud Reaction to the anaesthetic. Improving.

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
We had 6 of our buns neutered on Wednesday (26th June) all are well and eating and pooping and are on Metacam but one of the buns has terrible
diarrhea, could it be the Metacam as he had one dose last night ?
The rabbit in question is Thomas who is the runt of the litter :(

Last edited:
Is it definitely diarrhoea or is it caecs?

Is Thomas on anything other than metacam? If he does have diarrhoea, i'd start giving fluids if possible and perhaps contact the vet?

Vibes for Thomas, !

Is it definitely diarrhoea or is it caecs?

Is Thomas on anything other than metacam? If he does have diarrhoea, i'd start giving fluids if possible and perhaps contact the vet?

Vibes for Thomas, !

No it's defo diarrhoea . He only had metacam last night. We have just rang our vet for advice and we are waiting now for her to ring
back.

Thanks Graham :thumb:

In which case yeah, oral fluids at minimum, and hopefully the vet can give some ideas :wave:

Good luck, hope he is ok.

I think I would be thinking more along the lines of a bit of a reaction to the anaesethic. It happens in people as well if they are given more induction agent than actually needed, it can upset tummies really badly. I think he definitely needs to be assessed and fluids administered. Let us know how he does please. How old are the boys? I thought they were a little too young to neuter yet.

Last edited:
Update

Update 13:34 pm

The vet hasn't rang us back so she must be busy but we have made an appointment for Thomas at the vet's and he's there for 4:00pm as he isn't getting any better and the diarrhoea is like water now and so it's not good, he also hasn't eaten any hay or pellets so far today :(
Mike has just given him some fluids.

Can I have Vibes for Tiny Thomas Please

Thank You xx

Last edited:
Update

UPDATE 6:25 pm

The vet said that Thomas has had a reaction to the anaesthetic that he had when he was neutered and he is on Metronidazole, Dioralyte and Rehydration support. We also have to keep him nice and warm.
He's now back home in a big bed of hay with a heat pad and we have covered his indoor cage half over with a thick fleece to keep him toasty warm.

Thanks Guys for the Vibes xxxx

UPDATE 6:25 pm

The vet said that Thomas has had a reaction to the anaesthetic that he had when he was neutered and he is on Metronidazole, Dioralyte and Rehydration support. We also have to keep him nice and warm.
He's now back home in a big bed of hay with a heat pad and we have covered his indoor cage half over with a thick fleece to keep him toasty warm.

Thanks Guys for the Vibes xxxx

I thought it was likely to be that. Am so happy that he has got lots of support now though to help him through this, and he sounds lovely and comfortable. So what time does he want his hot choc and fleecy slippers :lol::lol:

I thought it was likely to be that. Am so happy that he has got lots of support now though to help him through this, and he sounds lovely and comfortable. So what time does he want his hot choc and fleecy slippers :lol::lol:

You said it would be that didn't you :thumb:

Thomas said could he have his hot chocolate about 8:00 pm and his slippers now and not to foget it's 4 slippers and not two ,
and don't forget the marshmallows in the hot choc :lol::lol:

Bless he doesn't want much does he :D

You said it would be that didn't you :thumb:

Thomas said could he have his hot chocolate about 8:00 pm and his slippers now and not to foget it's 4 slippers and not two ,
and don't forget the marshmallows in the hot choc :lol::lol:

Bless he doesn't want much does he :D

Oh dear doesn't sound like he thinks you are too bright, having to remind you to bring 4 slippers and not 2 :lol::lol: Guess he has got control of the remote tonight as well then. You go for it Thomas, you little diva, I'm so very happy you are going to be ok, so you just milk it while you can little one :thumb:

Back