• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor housing

HedwigGirl

Young Bun
I find often that I have to defend my reasoning for keeping my bun outdoors. Especially because I live in the US, where Not as many people keep their buns outdoors as I feel they do in the UK. A lot of people say that buns may feel neglected when kept outdoors, or that predators can come, and flys, etc. I got my rabbit from a breeder, and he was kept outside at an early age. Plus, I can tell my rabbit loves the outdoors: the birds chirping, breeze blowing, natural light shining.

Not that I think indoors is bad. I don't have the time or space for it, so my rabbit is much happier with runs in my backyard. Whenever I read rabbit books, or magazines, or go on some rabbit sites they make me feel bad for keeping my bun outdoors :( What do you think? Both housing choices have pros and cons, and I don't really feel that there is one superior way.

I have indoor rabbits now but I used to have outdoor rabbits as well. I think both have their pros and cons. Probably ideal would be free range indoors with a large predator-proof kennel attached to the house, so the rabbits can go indoors and outdoors as they please.

I'm in Florida so I reckon my rabbits prefer being indoors where the temp and humidity is controlled, flies aren't a problem, no fear of predators, etc. Plus rabbits here don't grow a thick fur coat in the winter like they do in cold climates so when there's going to be a cold night you've got to either provide heat or bring them indoors.

I imagine I will have outdoor buns again in the future, like a colony of rabbits in a large chain link dog kennel. That'd be amazing I think! I have a kennel like that for my ducks and think it would be cool for buns too. I would make it all natural inside e.g bun safe trees and other plants, human made burrows,logs, etc. And a large shed attached that has heat and fans and perhaps a window AC. :D

I personally would not want to keep a single Rabbit outdoors as Rabbits are social animals and they do need company of their own kind. Human company as a House Rabbit is the next best thing. So if I only had one Rabbit and I could not obtain another one as a companion for him/her I would prefer to keep him/her as a House Rabbit. If he/she absolutely hated being indoors I would obviously have to reconsider, but I have never yet met a Rabbit like that. Although I know some people have.

As with all Rabbit care there are basic guidelines as to what is best for their welfare, but no 'rules' are set in stone and occasionally we may need to go against the 'rules' to better accommodate the specific needs of an individual Rabbit

Another reason I could not keep Rabbits outdoors here is because we have an awful problem with Urban Foxes. They are now fearless and it would be impossible to totally protect outdoor accommodation from a Fox Attack. The Foxes even come into our houses, so I cant leave downstairs doors or windows open unless I am in the room.

Mine are kept outdoors - but I have two, so they have companionship.
Personally, I would not keep a single rabbit outdoors - it can be a very lonely existence.

Mine are outside but as close to the house as possible. I would love to have them indoors as house rabbits but our home isnt big enough to devote a whole room just for them and having just one lounge/dining room OH wasnt prepared to bunny proof the whole room and it's not large enough to section a bit off for them, also he wasnt keen on the potential for mess!!:(

Also from a practical? selfish? viewpoint, much as I love them I do like my couple of weeks holiday each year and the odd weekend away and whilst I know a hutch and run connected isnt seen as the best accommodation, mine is custom built by OH so is bigger than the recommended minimum, and can be taken apart, loaded onto OH's workvan and taken round to my parents (who are bunny lovers too) to look after them. - I couldnt expect them to come over to mine everyday as my dads not in the best of health.

Having said all that, I wouldnt have a single bunny outside on their own.

Back