• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whoa.... £69 for neaturing, but £43 in mine!

moi

Mama Doe
I thought id phone the other vets to see what sort of price. £69! When my vets charges £43!!

What do they include? Sometimes 'cheaper' vets actually work out more expensive because they don't include post op pain relief and checkups.

On top of what Elena said, different vets use different techniques. My vet uses an almost "keyhole" method for neutering. I paid more than it would have cost at another vets because I was paying for a more technically difficult, but less invasive, operation (in terms of wound size).

Must admit I didn't find out that.... but Ive had a few bad experiences with the other (expensive) vets in the past. Including knowing more about my piggies than the vet, and a vet that didn't want to hold my gerbil so she could check his ear. I was more than happy to hold him of course but she hardly even looked! x

The price is also higher if the vet has a qualified vet nurse doing the anaesthetic some have nurses who are not qualified and so not paid as much as a qualified vet nurse would be.

The price is also higher if the vet has a qualified vet nurse doing the anaesthetic some have nurses who are not qualified and so not paid as much as a qualified vet nurse would be.

I'm nearly £75 to get my boys neutered and was £97 for Harley to be spayed
My vets brilliant though

I would much prefer to find a rabbit-savvy vet (which fortunately I have) and stick with him for everything so he knows my rabbits and has their records.

Trust is vitally important, so if it cost £20 more to have them neutered with him, I would pay it, knowing that he would use the best technique possible and give good aftercare.

£101!!!!!! for a male at my vets!!!:shock:

I know you get what you pay for but flippin eck, Ive looked around but its tricky finding a good one. a local practice does it for £43 but I just wouldn't take anything there.

Companion care in P@H is £75 and on my doorstep so I am pondering

I would much prefer to find a rabbit-savvy vet (which fortunately I have) and stick with him for everything so he knows my rabbits and has their records.

Trust is vitally important, so if it cost £20 more to have them neutered with him, I would pay it, knowing that he would use the best technique possible and give good aftercare.

That's why I go with the vets Im with. They are amazing. The other vets (the expensive ones) are useless with anything other than cats and dogs x

it was £85 for my boy that did include after care and pain relief, he was very well looked after

Back