• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunny and old boy advice please!

Sammyp

Young Bun
Hi everyone,
This is my 1st time on a forum, but I would really like some advice.
I have 3 indoor bunnies, a 10 year old, 7 year old and 12 week old baby.
Firstly, my baby is my 1st lionhead (my other 2 are lops) and I've never had a bunny so young.
My old boy was 6 months old when I got him, so I'm a bit lost with a few things!!
I get that cos he's young he's very active, but he's so scatty I can hardly touch him. He is interested in me if I put my hand in but doesn't like me touching his face, and after a few strokes he runs off and ignores me.
I read that I should be trying to handle him straight away to get him used to it, but on the other hand I don't want to terrify him! I've only had him since last Saturday. Should I leave him a bit longer before trying to hold him? :roll:
Secondly, my old boy has had dental problems for a while now. His teeth on one side are no longer growing down as they should into the mouth but growing up into the cheek and down into his jaw. Because of this he gets a few abscesses which I try to keep controlled by baytril. Basically last April they warned me that there was nothing more they could do except keep him comfortable. They said I could let him eat whatever he wanted, but the last week or so he's been really struggling. I decided to try junior rabbit food soaked in water so it went soggy, which worked great at 1st but now not as much. He's still not eating a huge amount but its enough at he moment. He's very snuffly a lot of the time as well but otherwise he still wants to come out of his hutch an have a little run.
I guess what I'm asking is if anyone else has been in this position before? I don't want to give up on him but also don't want to be selfish and keep him here if he's suffering....
I honestly don't know what to do for the best. Any advice would be great :cry:

Back