• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Steroids? Pasturella and farmers lung

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
Hi. After an xray Jasmine has been diagnosed with pasturella and farmers lung. She had a 7 week course of baytril and fruesimide and a steroid injection. Shes had them before. I am sure I read somewhere that rabbits shouldnt be given steroids? What does it do to their bodies?
She had her last steroid injection a few weeks ago and now shes starting to breath heavily again. The vet did say about giving the steroid through a mask as it gets the steroid straight to the lung and dosnt affect the rest of the body so much.
I am worried about using a mask on her as I dont want to distress her anymore. She hated having baytril twice a day everyday!! How long do you have to keep the mask on for?
The vet did say that her prognosis wasnt good after seeing the x ray and I dont want to keep her going on meds if her body is failing and not coping. Should I try the mask or just keep giving her steroid injections or just leave her be?

Rabbits are very sensitive to the the side effects of steroids, including weakening of the immune system, gastric ulceration and liver damage. That is why they should always be used with extreme caution, often as a last resort treatment.

I have had a few Rabbits with chronic pneumonia who were able to enjoy an extra 10-11 months of life whilst on longterm antibiotics (Depocillin) a corticosteroid and a diuretic.

I used a nebuliser for them too. They were OK with a mask, but you can make a nebulising chamber if your Rabbit would find a mask too stressful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpVeWhJ8RA

As far as I am aware, farmers lung is caused by aspergillosis niger, which is a fungus. The problem with giving antibiotics with a fungal infection is that it can knock out all bacteria, removing competition and allowing the fungal infection to take over.
It may be worth asking your vet about this and giving an anti fungal treatment instead.

As far as I am aware, farmers lung is caused by aspergillosis niger, which is a fungus. The problem with giving antibiotics with a fungal infection is that it can knock out all bacteria, removing competition and allowing the fungal infection to take over.
It may be worth asking your vet about this and giving an anti fungal treatment instead.

I would be inclined to ask about giving both an antifungal and an antibiotic. The Pasteurella will still require treatment, especially if steroids are being used.

Back